Android Market, Dynamic licensing.

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android Market, Dynamic licensing.

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi,
I'm going to sell my software on Android Market but before uploading my software on the market
I need to know more on the dynamic licensing using the android market.

On others market we can use dynamic licensing to generate an activation code from our server
every time that a customer bought our software.
I know that this is possible also with android market but I want to know how to do it.

Handango for example, works in this way.
When a customer bought the software handango server sends and HTTP POST to our server with the IMEI number
of the customer, our server generate the activation code on the IMEI basis and reply to the handango server
who give the activation code to the customer.
Is this possible also on android market?
Thanks.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Top

Postby MichaelEGR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:26 pm

A) search for IMEI on this site
B) You'll likely have to build in IMEI handling and activation with your server in your own app separate of the market.
C) Consider that folks may have multiple Android devices. User profiles are Google accounts and are shared across devices. A user may potentially have multiple devices so dealing with multiple IMEI values per user is necessary.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
User avatar
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

MichaelEGR wrote:A) search for IMEI on this site
B) You'll likely have to build in IMEI handling and activation with your server in your own app separate of the market.
C) Consider that folks may have multiple Android devices. User profiles are Google accounts and are shared across devices. A user may potentially have multiple devices so dealing with multiple IMEI values per user is necessary.


Point B isn't clear.
How the market manage the activation code?
What happen when user buy the software?
Something may tell to my server that user XXX bought the software so my server can generate the code for it.
am I wrong?
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Postby MichaelEGR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:26 pm

B) The market doesn't manage activation codes in the manner that you originally described. You will have to create your own system to provide activation directly in your app after it has been purchased. You will also have to deal with the 24 hour return period where users can get their money back.

In this case it may be best to offer a free app on the Android market. Have the users go to your web site and pay for activation and receive a code. User enters code into your app the phones home with IMEI. The user may register up to X (say 5) IMEI codes a year or something like that.

There may be other solutions to this, but nothing as far as I know built into the Android market.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
User avatar
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:37 pm

MichaelEGR wrote:B) The market doesn't manage activation codes in the manner that you originally described. You will have to create your own system to provide activation directly in your app after it has been purchased. You will also have to deal with the 24 hour return period where users can get their money back.

In this case it may be best to offer a free app on the Android market. Have the users go to your web site and pay for activation and receive a code. User enters code into your app the phones home with IMEI. The user may register up to X (say 5) IMEI codes a year or something like that.

There may be other solutions to this, but nothing as far as I know built into the Android market.


thanks for your reply but ok, no problem to create a system to provide activation directly from my app but to do it
marked MUST notify my server that user X bought the software.
If market doesn't notify my server, how can I permit activation from my apps, on what basis?
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Postby MichaelEGR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Yes.. Perhaps we are skipping something simple here.. Are you just concerned about getting paid or do you need some sort of additional level of security? If you just need to get paid then use the Android market.

If you need to somehow protect your effort more rigorously such as locking it down to a particular device for instance to stop potential piracy then you will have to create your own additional system.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
User avatar
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Top

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I want to be payed and I want to protect my software.

It is possible to sell software on the android market and to protect it using an activation code
based on the IMEI of the customer?

If yes follow this:
If the user bought my software on the market, my software needs to handle all the security things and this is ok,
but to do this, my software or my server needs to know that the XXX customer payed the software.

I'm just selling my software on 10 stores (Symbian, Blackberry, JavaME, Windows) and on every stores,
dynamic licensing works in the way I'm describing, I'm inventing nothing.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Postby MichaelEGR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:32 pm

You seem to be asking this question on many forums in the past week or so..

I suggest you follow or try to understand better the answer you got here:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/A ... 989f&hl=en

Also it seems you just learned of Handango a couple of days before that here:
http://www.j2meforums.com/forum/index.p ... =23073.new


I'd find it rather amazing that with your lack of knowledge you are selling software in 10 stores...

Anyway... Asking here is not going to get a different answer than the one you got in the Android Market forum because that indeed is how it works.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
User avatar
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm

You are always kind on your answer, this means that you are frustrated,
go away from the keyboard and stop boring me with your unuseful answer please.

It funny that with my lack of knowledge I make money when you with your huge knowledge
feel the needs to elevate your own to "architect".... uahahha... architect of what? of patatoes?

next time, if you don't know how loss time, save your post and relax your self boys.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Postby MichaelEGR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:23 am

Yeah I admit I'm perhaps a little less tolerant to "silliness" after a long coding session, but you got the correct answer already and are simply wasting your time asking it again in different forums. The answer is not going to change and essentially is the same from what I was pointing you towards. Simply read the Android Market documentation. It's a RTFM situation here.
http://www.google.com/support/androidma ... opic=15865

And like I said you already got the answer here and I'm just confirming it.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/A ... 989f&hl=en

I assume you are very new to Android... Welcome and good luck making a buck off your app(s).
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
User avatar
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby sblantipodi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 am

MichaelEGR wrote:Yeah I admit I'm perhaps a little less tolerant to "silliness" after a long coding session, but you got the correct answer already and are simply wasting your time asking it again in different forums. The answer is not going to change and essentially is the same from what I was pointing you towards. Simply read the Android Market documentation. It's a RTFM situation here.
http://www.google.com/support/androidma ... opic=15865

And like I said you already got the answer here and I'm just confirming it.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/A ... 989f&hl=en

I assume you are very new to Android... Welcome and good luck making a buck off your app(s).


a long coding session? to code what? ahahaha...
get a life, we don't need help from you since you are not able to help no-one
and frustraded behaviour like yours is opposite to the community needs.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Postby licmax » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi SBlantipodi,

Unfortunately at this time Android Market doesn't support dynamic licensing in the manner Handango, Mobihand, App World do. The best would be if you could somehow automate extracting the event data in google checkout and sending the license withdraw request to a license server, such as licmax.com. The request would need to have the device ID (IMEI or PIN). Once the license is issued by licmax, your app can pull it's license key automatically and the user won't have to type it in.

Alternatively, upon receiving an event in google checkout, you could issue licenses manually in the licmax' web UI.

HTH,

The licmax Team
licmax
Once Poster
Once Poster
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area California

Postby sblantipodi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Licmax,
thanks for your reply and welcome on this forum.

I have a full access on ,y personal server and I can manage it as I want,
so no problem on licensing and manage licensing, I'm just doing it for handango mobihand ecc. ecc.
The problem is to receive notification of the purchase when the customer purchase the software,
as far as I understood, google in 2010 isn't able to offer such a simple service so no luck.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:41 pm

Top

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest