Android hardware testing - Which handsets? best options?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android hardware testing - Which handsets? best options?

Postby mikael_w » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi,

I'm quite new to Android development. I spent a few weeks, doing tutorials and developping simple apps.

Now, I'm focusing on all the test aspects. I have done Junit tests before so I thought it would be OK but now I'm slightly worried about the test coverage required.

First, how to test with hardware with that many different devices?? I though I would just buy one but now I'm not so sure.

There are so many handsets and they are so different! hardware feature missing, different resolutions, different lib version, etc

Have you guys got statistics about which handset sell the best per country? So that we can just buy the 2,3 most representative phones? Is there any developer deals where you buy 3 phones + 1 contract for a reasonable price (I'm in the UK btw).

Also, to go back to emulator tests, is there a way to kind of convert a famous handset into the corresponding AVD? Is there some nice free test infrastructure available that make multi-AVDs, multi-config, multi-projects test easier? Now I know most of the programs such as adb,android,emulator, etc... Still will probably need to write some python scripts which integrate it all..

Anyway, I'm slightly puzzled here so any pointer, any comment about your own android test strategy would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Mikael
mikael_w
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Android hardware testing - Which handsets? best options?

Postby Faded9 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't think it is necessary to own a small army of test devices, I haven't spoken to any developers that have more than a few, and most only use one. Using AVD you can emulate pretty much any device as far as size, resolution, version, etc go, so owning a ton of them isn't a requirement.

The only time it's really worth worrying about is with really intensive apps, mostly games, and the device your testing on is much more powerful than the lowest end phone that will be allowed to run your app. The emulator is of course not great for testing performance, so here it would be helpful to have one of the lower-end phones that will be exposed to your app so you can see how it runs. The good news here is that if you need to do that, you're not buying the latest and greatest phone, so it isn't much of a problem.
Faded9
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby heliumcreative » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 pm

samsung galaxy s is the best for android..
heliumcreative
Freshman
Freshman

Postby crandf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 am

IMHO, something with large screen and physical D-pad, camera, multi-touch, GPS, and physical keyboard should cover most of the options you may want to program for. Of course you should also cover the possibility that some users may have phones with wonky GPS, or lack keyboards, Dpad, cameras, multi-touch etc....
crandf
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby mikael_w » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for your replies... yeah, also testing on a low-end phone with bad performances actually makes a lot of sense.

btw, regarding testing, something useful here: http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/an ... gurations/
mikael_w
Freshman
Freshman

Postby onlineadr » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 am

the main thing is layout... if you know what you are doing you should be able to develop with only a single device and be able to design for all
onlineadr
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to General