Android Events Question

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android Events Question

Postby chris0101 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:20 am

First post here! 8)

I am fairly new to Android, having only learned that Android existed this year.

Does anybody know whether or not there will be any more Android events, like the recent Android Developer Labs that was recently held?

I was hoping to network, to meet the people behind Android and to meet other programmers. Geographically, I can't go to the I/O conference (and because I am a university student), but I am willing to travel.

Is there somebody here that works for Google to confirm? Also, is there anything like an RSS feed of future Android events? I was looked on the Android developer website (they do have a blog), and places like here: Android Events Calendar, but there doesn't seem to be much else.

Thanks in advance.
chris0101
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MichaelEGR » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:02 am

Try www.meetup.com to find Android related meet ups & groups in your area. In the SF Bay Area there are a fair amount organized through that site.

Yah.. Google I/O.. I was trying to get in on the dev sandbox and the conference organizers never responded despite multiple emails, went to a dev lab trying to meet organizers (mentioned in email; they didn't show), and the dev advocate I got in touch with to find out about dev sandbox had over 2 weeks to get back to me but responded 2 days after tickets sold out with a negative response and with no offer to let me buy a ticket.. Sometimes it sucks having to be frugal / monitor cash flow as a startup as I would have bought a ticket immediately after a neg response on the sandbox. No Google I/O for me despite a major product launch for Android developers... :( I'll be standing outside with fliers for my product launch as I'm a 10 minute walk from Moscone; kind of irks me really. The whole "oprah moment" effect is not a positive thing as it made the conference sell out over 10 weeks before it compared to less than 2 weeks last year. I mean seriously April 16th is the deadline for early bird tickets and that hasn't passed yet! I gander more than 80% of attendees to Google I/O won't be serious developers and just wanted the free gift. So basically one has to sign up immediately for any public event Google does in the future. Perhaps now that they are sending the free phone to folks prior to the conference it may be easier for me to convince someone to part with a ticket and they can keep their phone and profit. sigh... Yeah I was really looking forward to networking at G I/O especially after 17 months of hard work leading up to a major product launch. Way to go supporting developers.. hrm.. :| It is what it is..

So yeah.. Anyone got a ticket to spare? You can keep your gift/phone and profit! ;P

Networking with folks is fun and a good thing to do, so check meetup.com and such..

Best of luck...
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby chris0101 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:00 am

Afraid that there isn't much other than the Toronto Android Users Group.

I'd been hoping for something like another set of Android Developer Labs. Hopefully Google will setup another series of them for those of us who missed the earlier labs (I didn't even know that they existed).
chris0101
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General