Android Development in High School

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android Development in High School

Postby Keylay » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Good Evening,

I was hoping to see what this community thinks about my idea, and see if I can get words of wisdom from this group. I am a high school computer science instructor, and I primary teach Java in most of my classes, and in my advanced class we learn c++ and objective-c. However, I am thinking about reworking my advanced class that are making iOS applications and leaning towards the android mobile development.

Few reasons I am doing this is money. Currently, I have 2 iPads, and 3 iPods for 25 students. I also only have 5 machines that can be used for iOS development as well. I am applying for grants however, it is getting hard to get these grants when you have to pay such a high price tag for teach tablet.

The other reason is I can keep my mind in Java throughout the day. From my beginners, to my AP course, to my programming team, to my mobile development class.

This is where you guys come in. I need a hardware recommendation. I was thinking about working with my media center at my school and apply for a joint grant. I know that the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire both have an older version of android running on it. However, I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with programming either one. I do not want to root them either.

The goal is for me to check out the tablet to a student, all their books are on it for their other classes, and they program new apps for it. That is why I want to use a e-reader instead of a normal tablet.
Keylay
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to General