Android books?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android books?

Postby Zoranor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi there!
After having spent some time browsing through various tutorials and forums around the net, I've come to the conclusion that if I want to get a more serious start at doing any sort of developing on the Android platform, I'll probably need a book to start with. There are a few of those out there, despite the Android platform being relatively new. I have some programming experience, and I know Java well enough.

Anyone with positive experiences regarding any of those floating around? What with most of them being first edition, the quality can vary quite a bit. The ones I've been looking at are these:
* Android Application Development
* Professional Android Application Development
* Pro Android

I'd love to know any experience you've had regarding any of these books, or any other books on this subject, as I have a hard time deciding :)

Zora
Zoranor
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Davidthefat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:07 pm

IDK about books on Android, but IMHO you can learn A LOT by trial and error actually, just try out every function and stuff, and look at the documentation even more.

edit: Im not saying its the cleanest and most efficient way to code, but Its a better process to learn for yourself than reading a book or something, since you actually UNDERSTAND WHY that happens by yourself
Davidthefat
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Draffodx » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm

If you read a book properly instead of just following the code in them they can be very beneficial

I have read the following:

Hello Android, Android development by Ed Burnette
Professional Android Application by Reto Meier
Android Wireless Application Development by Shane Condor

Android Wireless Apllication Development is by far the best one I've read, its the most substantial so if your really serious I would reccommend it, Professional Android Application is good but it just seems to be lacking something, I still use it for reference sometimes. Hello Android, Android development was by far the least substantial but the easiest to read and get something working quick, I had the pre 1.0 version so it may have improved by now but out of them 3, Android Wireless Application Development by Shane Condor is the best for me
Draffodx
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Zoranor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 pm

@David

Yep, I know that using code tutorials and examples to provide your own education can work, I've done it myself on a number of times. This time however I felt I'd like to use a book for once :)

@Draffodx

Thanks for the tips! I noted the Wireless Application book among those dealing with Android, I figured it was probably one more focused on a specialized subject. But since you recommended it, I'll have another look at it and see if it's something fitting for me.
Zoranor
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Draffodx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeh its name is a bit strange alright but its the most comprehensive book I've come across
Draffodx
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to General