Andriod really is crap

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Andriod really is crap

Postby bollix » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am

Purely on the basis that if you want to do anything on it you have to spend day / weeks / years trudging the web trying to find out how to do the simplest f things!

Each time I revisit the platform with fresh outlook it does not take long for this flaw to defeat me.

Coming from the iPhone which developing on is a pure dream with structured learning material it makes it only too clear to me how Open Source is limited.

Not only that look at the difference in quality of apps between both platforms.

Point is I have to learn android, which I actively want to, but am frustrated that instead of spending my time concentrating on what the application should do i am pissing about looking down dead ends for an answer that just is not out there.

For some reason too I find the forums on Android more closed than those on other platforms which goes against the grain, now either all the readers do not know the answer or they do and just dont bother sharing their knowledge

This post comes after many months trying to make any headway with Android whereas in the same period I have a complete app finished on iPhone.

When I started out I knew nothing of the iPhone or Android so the fact I have advanced so far along with the iPhone and am still at base with Android speaks loads!
bollix
Freshman
Freshman

Postby WarrenFaith » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 am

There is one simple reason for the heavy iPhone-Android difference:
iPhone is available since 3 years?!
Android device is available since 6 months?!

How many developer work on iPhone OS? The Android team has 20 developers (plus minus some...).
iPhone OS has to work on ONE device: the iPhone.

Android is designed to work on multiple devices from Mobiles to Netbooks.

So there are by default more differences than similarities.

Get used to it or leave it :)

Btw: I think in 2 years we are on eye to eye with iPhone...
WarrenFaith

Postby bollix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:34 am

I know what you are saying, but your response for me anyway is the usual open source response, i.e. defensive.

I do not have the luxury to leave it I HAVE to learn it, but with it comes a pile of frustration.

I am NOT anti open source, quite the opposite for example I praise the ease at which I can get an application on my G1 by simply plugging in the USB and deploy with a single click rather than the drawn out painful iPhone provisioning license game.

My frustration comes from every single rout I take to develop an app lead to a dead end on Android with so help being found even after trudging the web etc, even the books I have bought fail to explain things in a concise uniform manner.

At the end of the day all I want to do is learn how to program the damn thing grrrr :)
bollix
Freshman
Freshman

Postby WarrenFaith » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:39 am

At the end of the day all I want to do is learn how to program the damn thing grrrr

Try java instead of objective-c :)

Try this forum to find solutions on your "dead ends". Anything else is simply flaming :D
WarrenFaith

Postby bollix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:10 pm

I am using Java and understand I believe what I am doing, the problem is when you need an answer because you do not know the solution and trudge the web for ages getting nowhere as well as posting on said forum(s) and getting no replies...... except to threads like this one arf!
:(
bollix
Freshman
Freshman

Postby WarrenFaith » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Sorry, but only because no one answers to your question, you think everything is bad as hell?!

Can you imagine the hours we spend to find something out?
If no one answers, you should keep trying and if you find a solution, post it to take part and support others.

I never asked a question here, nearly 40 posts and just to help others.

You said you are not anti open source... so work like an open source guy, work hard and share your knowledge and don't blame others/other things to be bad.
WarrenFaith

Postby bollix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:38 pm

No sorry have to disagree with you there.

From the start on iPhone with bought books I got applications up and running from know nothing to knowing a lot more.

The same amount of time on Android I have nothing to show for it apart from a bog standard not worth mentioning app, well not even that, a front page basically.

I am not saying just because no one answers I am saying that it is pretty naff to have to spend hours, days weeks, MONTHS looking for an answer that never arises and no amount of questions get replied.

Yes I post when I find.

You make it sound as though I am blaming everyone out there for my inability to get anything done? I am not.

My point is it is usually the way on forums especially OS ones where you can post questions and get not one reply, but say anything that even hints at you are slagging off the platform and ....here we are :wink:

I do not expect any help as it is all free, but as forums are a way yo share information and knowledge there has to come a time when someone has to post a reply with help otherwise what is the point of a forum full of questions with no answers?

If you have no idea of how to resolve a problem, you search...and search...and search, oh did I mention you search and buy books and ask questions on forums.

So please tell me what next?

Judging by all the apps on the Google market there are a lot of programmers out there who know the answers and I guess a lot are reading this and the other posts so the question is, why not answer and help out otherwise there is no point.

Do you think that this platform will really take off if it is left to a small elite group who proclaim OS but do not practice it?

Once again I have given up on the goal as it is like banging my head against a bloody wall. I have to produce the end products and spending forever searching for no answer is not an option, so now I am back on the iPhone making great progress.

Before you say it "well bugger off and enjoy your iPhone" that is not the point. I need to know, I WANT to know how to program decent programs on the Android but when being paid to produce results all I can do is swear sometimes!
bollix
Freshman
Freshman

Postby WarrenFaith » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:04 pm

My point is it is usually the way on forums especially OS ones where you can post questions and get not one reply, but say anything that even hints at you are slagging off the platform and ....here we are Wink

I do not expect any help as it is all free, but as forums are a way yo share information and knowledge there has to come a time when someone has to post a reply with help otherwise what is the point of a forum full of questions with no answers?

Sorry, but does a missing answer always shows, that nobody want to help you? Isn't there the possibility that nobody here know the answer?
I have no application finished, I have just made some try and error to understand how it works.

Just to be sure: I am not only answering topics like this one, I also try to help somebody (like :arrow: http://www.anddev.org/problem_in_runnin ... t5665.html )

Just because one question isn't answered allows you to blame this forum (yes you do so).

Nobody get paid for posting here, its free time and the community is global, so just sit and wait.
Post what you have and what you want to have. Maybe you can start a learn process for more than just you.

As example: I answered a topic and spend 30 minutes to find the solution. Done a blog entry and now everybody can take part.

I really hope that you will find an answer.

If you have no idea of how to resolve a problem, you search...and search...and search, oh did I mention you search and buy books and ask questions on forums.

Remember what I said? Here is a major reason you may not find an answer yet:
iPhone is available since 3 years?!
Android device is available since 6 months?!

How many developer work on iPhone OS? The Android team has 20 developers (plus minus some...).
iPhone OS has to work on ONE device: the iPhone.

Android is designed to work on multiple devices from Mobiles to Netbooks.

Documentation, Tutorials, Examples done in 6 Month are much less than done in 3 years...
WarrenFaith

Postby bollix » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 pm

we are going round in circles, end of.
:wink:
bollix
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General