Advantages of that 'DalvikVM' ?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Advantages of that 'DalvikVM' ?

Postby sushihuntr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:37 am

Hi,
can someone explain the advantages of the DarvikVM to me, just looks like "one in million" VMs available... :lol:

Thx in advance...
sushihuntr
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:48 am

Hi sushihunter,

first its called Dalvik ;)

So, the DarlikVM was specificly designed for Android and for the needs of running in an embedded environment, like: limited battery, limited memory, limited cpu,...
The DalvikVM runs *.dex-Files what are of course still ByteCodes, but which are converted at build-time from *.class or *.jar -files. After that conversion the ByteCode is highly optimized to run on Embedded Devices and so is much more memory and cpu-efficient.
It is also designed to allow multiple VM instances to run at once, relying on the underlying operating system for process isolation, memory management and threading support. Dalvik is often referred to as a Java Virtual Machine, but this is not strictly accurate, as the bytecode on which it operates is notJava bytecode.

I assume this was enough information, wasn't it ?
If not i'll tell you some more :)

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

dalvik VM vs KVM

Postby neel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:54 am

hi

does anybody know what is the difference between DVM and KVM

i found that KVM is stack based while dalvik is register based. we have read tht DVM is efficient and optimized bytecode but how is this. I want to find of why it is more effiecient and some detailed comparison with K virtual machine?

Thanks
neel
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Hello neel,

I never worked with KVM, but I can give you some lines of the android-book I'm writing:

...Also of register-based VMs allow faster execution times at the expense of programs which are larger after compilation.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General