ADC 2 Submissions?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

ADC 2 Submissions?

Postby Shaka » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:41 am

Hi!

I was wondering if any of you guys have submitted an entry to the Android Developer Challenge 2?
I m'self entered with my game PopQuad (I'll post some screens later). It's a mix of tetris and space invaders made in Opengl ES.
Shaka
Developer
Developer

Goobers Vs Boogers

Postby warrenbaltz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:08 pm

I entered Goobers Vs Boogers in ADC2 in the Casual Games category.

I'm interested to know what others entered as well. I've been looking for a total submission count, category break downs and a list of submitted apps, but I haven't found them yet.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Shaka » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:26 pm

I guess it's still too early to get a count but it would be really nice to see Google post a list of all the submissions in the different categories.
Shaka
Developer
Developer

Postby Derek5432 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 pm

I submitted my game Relativia in the Games:Puzzle/Casual category. It's an RPG/Puzzle hybrid along the lines of Puzzle Quest. You create a character, open up a map view which allows you to search for points of interest (e.g. dungeons and markets) in your area. These are overlayed geographically with locations like coffee shops and hotels. You must then physically travel to a location to enter it in-game. The GPS detects your proximity to the location, and if you're close enough, you can enter. Combat is in the form of a Connect Four style game, in which the player and the enemy take turns dropping tokens into a grid to try to form horizontal/vertical/diagonal lines. Matches either give mana, gem dust (money), or deal direct damage. You use mana to cast spells and gem dust to buy equipment at markets.

The plot is that the villains are trying to break down the barriers between all parallel universes and collapse them into one, and in the ensuing chaos they will take over and rule. You have to stop them, of course. It was a hell of a rough time trying to develop it in less than 3 months. I'm hoping the blend of puzzle game, simple RPG, and use of location-based features will make it a standout...but who knows. Sounds like the competition in the game categories may be high.

I too am hoping to see some stats in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath.
Derek5432
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Goobers Vs Boogers

Postby raptor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:15 am

warrenbaltz wrote:I entered Goobers Vs Boogers in ADC2 in the Casual Games category.

Your application is quite cool man. Congrats!

I did a chess game. Also in Casual Games :).
raptor
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Goobers Vs Boogers

Postby warrenbaltz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:48 pm

Your application is quite cool man. Congrats!

I did a chess game. Also in Casual Games :).

Thank you very much! It was a lot of work, but I'm happy with it. I think there will be a lot of good apps and games that come out of the contest. I hope so!

I like chess games. I downloaded three different versions to try. What is yours called Raptor? Will definitely check it out.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby raptor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:08 pm

It's called AndroidKnight, but it's not yet on the market. I assume that in the next three days I'll have time to push it to the market. :)
raptor
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Shanytc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:37 pm

I wish I could! I just started with Android when I heard on the competition...
maybe #3 when I will know a bit more too!
- Shany -
Shanytc
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby CBS_Haggs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Name: ProjectINF
Category: Action/Arcade
By: ChickenBrick Studios (Not a full time studio, really just a team of 3 people who enjoy Android development in their spare time around full-time jobs, school, and family engagements)
URL: http://www.chickenbrickstudios.com (not much info on our site yet, but check out Taylor Wimberly's article on androidandme at: http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/ad ... rojectinf/)

Description:
ProjectINF is, as far as we know, <shameless promotion> the first true real-time (i.e. not turn-based) </shameless promotion> game on Android. The game plays similar to a top-down Halo / Unreal Tournament / Half-Life. The game is free and currently available on the Android Market. Also, note that the version submitted to ADC2 is cross compatible with the one in the Android Market. This means that those who download it from the Market will be able to compete with those who download it via the ADC2 Judging application.

App Features:
-- True real-time gameplay
-- Up to 24 players in a single game
-- Multiple character types
-- Customizable character stats
-- Multiple maps and game modes
-- Music and sound effects
-- Friends list and chatroom
-- Over 25 items and abilities
-- Lots more

Team:
The team (and the entirety of ChickenBrick Studios for that matter) consists of three people: a coder, a graphic designer, and a tester / QA. App development for us is a fun activity that we do in our spare time to promote gaming on Android, and many of us come from a bit of a gaming background.

-Haggs
CBS_Haggs
Freshman
Freshman

Postby raptor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:26 am

OK, so now demo and full app are on the market, and also my self shameless promotion website:
http://androidknight.com/

You guys from CBS also made a great job, and I'm glad I'm not in your category :D.
raptor
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Alex_nz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am

We've submitted Vivify picture: Math in Education/Development. http://vivifypicture.com
Small AR application, a show case for an AR library we are going to release open source.
Anyone else in the same category? I've seen 4 other Education entries on the thread at google groups/Android developers: Calculator, multiple choice test, interactive book, Latin tutorial.

P.S. Warren your game is great I really enjoy it, marked as 5* on the Market.
Alex_nz
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby warrenbaltz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Alex_nz wrote:P.S. Warren your game is great I really enjoy it, marked as 5* on the Market.

Thank you very much!

Alex_nz wrote:Anyone else in the same category? I've seen 4 other Education entries on the thread at google groups/Android developers

Wouldn't it have been great if there were only 3 entries in your category?! I had a feeling that the Education category would have fewer entries than the others.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby CBS_Haggs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey Raptor, that's a classy looking chess game you've got there :).

If you guys are looking for a bigger list of apps that have been submitted, someone started compiling a list here: http://www.4feets.com/2009/09/adc2-submissions-thread/. Also, on that site, the guy mentions that if you get on this google groups list: http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... 3612a4a1fb you may see other ADC submissions roll through.

I've been on the list for a while, and its fun seeing a new one come in every half hour or so.
CBS_Haggs
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Shaka » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:40 pm

CBS_Haggs wrote:Name: ProjectINF
Category: Action/Arcade
By: ChickenBrick Studios (Not a full time studio, really just a team of 3 people who enjoy Android development in their spare time around...

Cool game man!

I'll post a couple o' screens from my submission.
The is called PopQuad. It's a puzzle/arcade/action game where your goal is simply to score as high as possible by filling the missing quads in the formations. It's not much but I'm happy I was able to make a game by myself under four weeks. This was my first attempt at mobile phone dev and I really enjoyed it, I'm already working on my next project :)

I still have a couple of features I need to implement before release, but hopefully people will enjoy it.

Shaka
Developer
Developer

Postby CBS_Haggs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey Shaka, how was your OpenGL experience?
CBS_Haggs
Freshman
Freshman

Next

Return to General