Actively Installed vs Downloaded Ratio

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Actively Installed vs Downloaded Ratio

Postby warrenbaltz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:38 pm

For those with apps on the market, what kind of numbers are you getting for installed and active? I have a few apps up now and I'm generally getting around 50%-60% ratios. In other words, a little over half of the people who download my apps keep them installed. Are these numbers typical in your experience?
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby axin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:08 am

To me, yours look fine. I've got one app on the Market, it stays around 45%. Anyone else willing to share the stats? 8)
axin
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby tikimove » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

We have released several apps on the market. It's between 12% and 67%, but mostly arround 40%.
tikimove
Developer
Developer

Free/Lite to Paid ratio

Postby warrenbaltz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. Here's a follow up question for people with Free/Lite versions of software.

What kind of conversion rate are you seeing for Free/Lite apps?

I'll start, I've got one application with a free version and I currently have a ~3.5% conversion rate from Lite to Full versions. Or, for every 100 active users of the Lite version, 3 users paid for the full version.

It would be nice if there is an acceptable average number so people can estimate what kind of response to expect with future apps.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby freewheelnat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 pm

All my apps are free so I can only answer the first question.

I have 2 apps on the market at the moment, I have 55% active for one and 35% active users for the other one.
freewheelnat
Developer
Developer

Postby Derek5432 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:50 pm

Here are some stats on some of the apps I've got on the market:

Concrete Calculator ($0.99)
45 downloaded
37 installed
82%

InfusionCalc ($0.99)
60 downloaded
44 installed
73%

JoyBuzz (free)
10311 downloaded
2544 installed
25%

TippinTime (free)
6062 downloaded
4006 installed
66%

Spades Free (free, ad supported with AdMob)
58364 downloaded
22462 installed
38%

Spades ($1.99)
397 downloaded
158 installed
40%

Golf Solitaire Free (free, reduced content and prompts to buy full version)
17078 downloaded
7388 installed
43%

Golf Solitaire ($1.99)
272 downloaded
231 installed
85%

So it depends a lot on the type of app it is, free or paid, game or utility. My conversions from my free to paid games is somewhere between 1-2%, although the free versions earn money themselves from ads. Initially they did quite well, but clicks taper off pretty steadily.
Derek5432
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby warrenbaltz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:44 am

Wow, Derek5432, great reply. Thanks for the info!
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Superted » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm

I have three apps, from 24% to 47%
Very interesting info Derek5432 :)
Superted
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby freewheelnat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 pm

@Derek - I have a question regarding paid for app/download. Is it true that people can get a refund within 24 hours? Does it mean that your sold app numbers are lower than your downloaded apps? Lower than your actively used apps?
freewheelnat
Developer
Developer

Postby warrenbaltz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm

The number sold tracks pretty closely to the number of active apps. The active number goes up as people purchase them, but occasionally ticks back down when they are returned. I supposed if someone uninstalled the app after the 24 hours then it would still count as a sale and not as an active app, but I don't think people uninstall paid apps beyond 24 hours very often.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Superted » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 pm

They can reinstall for free after uninstalling a bought app right??
Superted
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Derek5432 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm

freewheelnat wrote:@Derek - I have a question regarding paid for app/download. Is it true that people can get a refund within 24 hours? Does it mean that your sold app numbers are lower than your downloaded apps? Lower than your actively used apps?

Yes, if a user returns an app within 24 hours, they get a refund, as far as I know, no questions asked. I have a friend who writes iPhone apps. He's sold hundred of apps and only had 1 return. :? I like the idea of an easy return policy for Android. It favors the consumer, but it may be a little too lax. I have had instances of people purchasing an app, returning it, then purchasing it again...go figure. It can be frustrating to see a slew of purchases closely followed by a slew of returns with an hour, but I think it just raises the bar for designing quality apps, ones that people actually want to keep on their phone.

And Warren is right, at least in my case as well. My number of sold units matches up almost exactly with currently installed.

And yes, I believe users that have purchased an app but uninstalled it can redownload it at any time.

It would be nice for Google to track stats for you such as:

For all apps:
Downloads
Unique user downloads (in case single users are uninstalling and downloading your app multiple times)

For paid apps:
Returned within 24 hours
Purchased and installed
Purchased and uninstalled after 24 hours

Ah well. The best we can do is try to track some of this ourselves.
Derek5432
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby warrenbaltz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Agreed. It would be great to see those stats. You know Google has them. And they would be very helpful to us developers.

It would also be nice to get a graph of downloads, like in Google Analytics. I have to track the number of downloads every day manually if I want to see any trends.

Please Google?
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Superted » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:35 pm

I think the number of sales would go up drastically if people could pay with their phone instead of with credit card.. I hope they introduce that soon!
Superted
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby warrenbaltz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 pm

You mean a paid app download would get added to the cell phone bill? That would be great! The model for most smartphone apps is that they are small and inexpensive. You buy gum, pop, coffee, whatever on a whim ... as long as it doesn't cost more than a few bucks. So why not applications? But as soon as you have to jump through hoops that's over. Automatically adding to the cell phone bill would definitely increase sales.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to General