3D MMORPG soon to be under development

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

3D MMORPG soon to be under development

Postby jonbonazza » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:32 am

Hello, I represent Bonafide Software. We are a new company entering the world of Mobile application and game development. As of right now, we currently only develop for the Android OS, however we eventually plan to branch out to the iOS as well. At any rate, so far we have 3 projects under way. One of which seems to be of particular interest many.

We started Project Rune (official title not yet determined) at an attempt to set the standard for online gaming on the Android OS. Currently, there are no MMORPGs available in the marker that I was able to find. We decided to take this opportunity to step in and show the world what Bonafide is capable of.

We are currently in the design stage of the game and development is not scheduled to commence until mid- to late December of this year. At the moment, we have a man hard at work on the loose story line and character bios (We realize that being an MMO, these aspects cannot be too detailed, however, we are going to attempt to bring a new twist on the genre, and see how people like it. It will grant a deeper storyline than your traditional "grind" MMORPGs). I, the person in charge of the source code and server-side scripting, have been working vigorously in an attempt to get the [url="http://bonafide-software.com/?p=63"]Rune-tilities[/url] package completed so that when the time comes for development to start, we can focus more on the game itself and not on all of the various tools.

We are still looking for someone to do the character, enemy, weapon, and armor designs, so if you feel you have what it takes, you can either PM me on this site or email us at support@bonafide-software.com. Provide some examples of your work and if your style fits our criteria, we can discuss further details and compensation.

That's really all I have to say at this point, as everything else is considered proprietary information and until further notice cannot be released.

If you wish, you can check us out at Bonafide Software | Official site of Bonafide Software where you can stay up to date on all of our projects including Project Rune.

I will make sure to keep this thread a up-to-date as possible.

I almost forgot to mention! If you have any suggestions of what you, as a consumer, would like to see in the game, feel free to post them up! You can also email us at support@bonafide-software.com or simply PM me on here!
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: 3D MMORPG soon to be under development

Postby MichaelEGR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:26 am

I wish you luck, but you may be biting off more than you can chew as it sounds like there is not much available on the funding or man power side of this effort. If you want to go cross platform (iOS / Android) you should do the engine in C/C++, but that will limit the amount of Android developers willing to help. Doing it in Java will limit it to desktop (potentially) and Android which honestly I recommend especially since the dev team is likely going to be small and the project is immense. One can write and keep in ones head far more bug free Java code than C/C++.

Also consider the numerous issues with Android dev that you have yet to uncover. It's hard to write a complex game engine that runs well across the ecosystem. I suggest you read up on component oriented programming / component based design and absolutely don't go down the OOP path for a project of this nature as it will soon be to inflexible and fragile.

Of course doing this fully open source will help attract other interested developers even then don't expect people to jump up and give a lot of time especially if you go forward with C/C++. Actually don't expect too many people to help reliably in general.

Regarding and existing engine & art assets I highly suggest you take a look at and use the following:
http://dev.ryzom.com/
http://media.ryzom.com/

Ryzom went open source and the assets (1.4Gb) are creative commons licensed. Use these assets and don't design your own until your engine is well developed and there is some game play value. Since this is most likely going to be a learning experience for you I suggest that you GPL / liberally open source your work (if you build off Ryzom you have to do this anyway).

If you go in the Java direction well I certainly would be glad to work with you in regard to examining my real time app / game platform called TyphonRT. There are many advantages for large scale apps/games as TyphonRT is based on leading edge software architecture techniques (component oriented programming) and will provide a lot of the framework / infrastructure necessary that will allow you to focus on making a great game instead of fighting Android implementation details especially issues that pop up do to Android OS and device differentiation across the Android ecosystem.

Of course as always I recommend starting with a smaller game/project, actually release it on the market, maybe make some beer money or more, then move to something a little more complex. There is a reason why there aren't a wealth of 3D MMORPGs on Android presently; make sure you fully understand the scope and why. Starting out shooting for the stars with no funding and limited personnel to help especially noting that you are not even thinking of starting major development until months from now is well a risky proposition.

Don't let any of what I said discourage you though as you seem to be the take the bull by the horns type developer, but you picked a big bull with sharp horns to wrestle with...
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby jonbonazza » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 am

Micahael, I truly appreciate your support and the amount of hellp you have already given me and most likely will be giving me in the future (lol). I have considered your argument, and I would really like to do this in Java, as I am already rather adept in C/C++, and I would really like to become a bit more proficient in Java. Like you assumed in another thread, I am the type of person who, when learning, likes to go in full force and hope for the best. I am also, however, not the type of person to give up easily. These two qualities make me a quick learner.

As far as the engines that you posted, I noticed that they are developed in C/C++, so, sticking with my decision to use java, I don't think they would work for me. That is unless I decide to utilize the Android NDK alongside the SDK, then I MIGHT be able to work with that (Although I have not done much with the NDK, so I am not eve sure if that is possible).

As far as your TyphonRT engine, I was looking at that earlier, but could not fully grasp what kind of engine it exactly was. What exactly do you mean by "real time app/game platform?" Real time as in the game or app is interactive and thriving in real time (such as an MMO or a RTS game) or real time in another sense? Pardon my ignorance on this stand point. With that said, I would gladly work with you. I have come to understand that you are very knowledgeable in all aspects of the game design process, and the opportunity to aid in the development of what will most likely become a very significant piece of software (Your TyphonRT engine) would be an absolute honor. Like I said, we still have a lot of stuff to iron out and don't plan to start development until mid- to late December.
If you are interested in this, please, by all means PM me.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby MichaelEGR » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 am

jonbonazza wrote:I am the type of person who, when learning, likes to go in full force and hope for the best. I am also, however, not the type of person to give up easily. These two qualities make me a quick learner.

This is the only way to accel at software dev and particularly indie game dev.

jonbonazza wrote:As far as the engines that you posted, I noticed that they are developed in C/C++, so, sticking with my decision to use java, I don't think they would work for me. That is unless I decide to utilize the Android NDK alongside the SDK, then I MIGHT be able to work with that (Although I have not done much with the NDK, so I am not eve sure if that is possible).

I of course advocate Java, but I think Ryzom is something to examine from an architecture point of view especially the server side and interaction with a game client. I haven't taken a look at it, but I know its been open sourced in the last 6 months. Also the media / art assets are what is the gold mine. In your effort you don't want to spend time or worry about creating or even having to pay / compensate an artist/modeler up front or get overly delayed in how things look or even a story per se. Postponing any financial burden until there is a solid engine / tech foundation is very important. Also your art/asset pipeline may change, so until it's finalized it's best to use free assets and the Ryzom ones look great.

jonbonazza wrote:As far as your TyphonRT engine, I was looking at that earlier, but could not fully grasp what kind of engine it exactly was. What exactly do you mean by "real time app/game platform?" Real time as in the game or app is interactive and thriving in real time (such as an MMO or a RTS game) or real time in another sense?

Well. TyphonRT is a middleware layer that provides a compatibility layer between desktop Java and Android supporting all graphics APIs from the 3 major OpenGL bindings (JOGL, LWJGL, Android OpenGL ES) to the 2D APIs (Java2D and Android 2D). So you can write one Java application and 90%+ of the code is cross-platform between the desktop and Android (one can make it practically 100% cross-platform, but you always want to write your main game loop using the direct OpenGL binding of the target platform). A major boon with TyphonRT is that it has been in development for over 7 years with over 5 full time+ years dedicated to innovating on the tools / architecture side of things including an intensive innovation stage over the last 20 months with a port to Android. On the architecture side the platform is an OOP / COP (component oriented programming) blend and the platform itself is split into over 225 discrete components / pieces rather than taking a kitchen sink approach that is the default with 95%+ of most software projects. This makes the platform flexible and easy to fix bugs due to each component being very small and concrete with systemic dependencies well known. This highly modular arrangement also makes it possible for devs to just include the components they need thereby shrinking app size and keeping things as simple as possible. TyphonRT has evolved to run well over the entire Android ecosystem and all devices running Android 1.5+. Beyond the compatibility layer there are well tested components for game development including a very efficient component oriented entity system ideal for large scale MMO / RTS games. There will also be copious code released including a 3D Quake3 class engine that can be re-purposed for instance to provide initial level renderer for your efforts though it is more of a teaching aid for those interested in that class of tech. The larger goals with TyphonRT are to provide a solid foundation necessary for game engine developers to create their own tech without limiting / constraining possibilities. At the same time TyphonRT can be used for any development on Android because the COP nature of the platform and particularly the support tools to intelligently deal with the complexities of writing software across the Android ecosystem make it useful for game and non game applications. There are many gotchas with the Android platform and TyphonRT provides a stable platform on top of a variety of Android OSes and devices each which may have independent issues that require workarounds. TyphonRT is sort of "self-healing" in that regard and externalizes separation of concerns matters instead of embedding workarounds internally. A short term goal after launch is to set up a component marketplace where developers can buy premade components and even 3rd party devs can develop and potentially distribute via open source or sell their own components (think an "app store" for developers except you buy concrete components to use for dev). I plan for instance to offer a comprehensive 3D model loading / animation component that can support all the major formats (basically what you are just starting to look at implementing). TyphonRT is based on the open core model and truly is open via GPLv3, but also features a favorable license for commercial use (free for individuals and organizations who make less than $100kUS yearly revenue).

I think the biggest selling point per se is that I've designed and implemented TyphonRT for long term maintenance and availability as I'll be using it many years into the future. Maintenance from a developer perspective was a 1st level priority rather than a 2nd or distant 3rd as it is with most products/projects. This also means it's an eat your own dog food effort, so I've put in countless hours to make sure it's solid not only for my usage, but others as well including a cohesive end user experience.

jonbonazza wrote:I have come to understand that you are very knowledgeable in all aspects of the game design process, and the opportunity to aid in the development of what will most likely become a very significant piece of software (Your TyphonRT engine) would be an absolute honor. Like I said, we still have a lot of stuff to iron out and don't plan to start development until mid- to late December. If you are interested in this, please, by all means PM me.

Indeed.. And I'd be honored to have a group of young developers to try something as ambitious as a MMORPG with TyphonRT and see where it goes. TyphonRT is moving towards the tail end of the release engineering process and I should have some semi-public betas available in the coming weeks, but full public launch is planned around November. I'd be glad to get you in the loop much earlier though as receiving your feedback / reactions on how things are structured will be interesting.

Well.. Drop me an email at the contact address on the site (http://www.typhonrt.org) as that may be easier than PMing back and forth.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General