Post YOUR IDEAs here

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Post YOUR IDEAs here

Postby plusminus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:42 am

Hello Community,

we thought a creative corner would be pretty fun. So no good idea for an innovative Android-Application is forgotten...
Post here if you want to share your idea with the community. Working open and together is always easier. Perhaps teams could derive from ideas posted here.

So I'll start:

100% without any order:
  • Automatic TimeZone Adapter using GPS.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JimCummins » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:14 am

Application to find the quickest route to a location. The catch is that I would love to see it only use public transportation methods of getting there. So if you are at Grand Central and want to get to Times Square. What is the fastest method, bus, subway? Also it would be cool if you could draw data from time schedules to show when the next bus is coming. Also if the app could give you directions to the closest stop by foot that would be awesome.

Another app I was thinking would be cool is one that would allow you to take a photo of a street location them automatically detect the coordinates via GPS and upload that photo to Google Maps or Google Earth. Essentially people could snap photos of building fronts and they would be helping to build a virtual photo album of earth.

Lastly, I was thinking that it would be cool if you could use google notebook as an app. I would love to have my computer and wireless device be automatically sync'd via google notebook. Problem with this is that I am sure google will develop this app. So really, its useless. :)
"I have no reason to learn this, which is what makes it interesting."
JimCummins
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Rolaveric » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 am

What I'd like to see is a series of "Remote Control" applications.
I figure mobile phones are fast enough to handle the basic UI and security to act as front-ends to a lot of simple PC functions, and mobile data connections are fast enough to keep up too.
It would be useful both within Wi-Fi range and out in the field.
Just a few ideas of what to do with it:
  • Run a batch file ("Damn, I should run that virus scan/backup while I'm not using it")
  • Control your media player (Hook a MythTV ready box up to your TV and stereo)
  • Stream camera and/or mic input in either direction (I see my roommate using my PC via the webcam, So I Use the phone mic to stream "Log Off, NOW!" through the PC speakers)
  • Monitor system status and processes

Most of the ideas I have could probably be done with an SSH command line and Samba file server access,
or even just using PHP scripting on a secure website and using the web browser as a UI.
But I figure this way I'm learning something new :)
Look at me still talking when there's science to do
Rolaveric
Freshman
Freshman

Postby lordhong » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 pm

:shock: android powered watch and android powered toaster!!! (maybe also microwave and fridge :wink: )
lordhong
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:28 pm

lordhong wrote::shock: android powered watch and android powered toaster!!! (maybe also microwave and fridge :wink: )

:lol: Not that it becomes an iPhone you can even shave yourself or take a shower under, but hardly make a phone call :D

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

P2P content distribution system

Postby izamryan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:26 pm

using DHT's (or similar) over XMPP to distribute local content.
izamryan
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

some other toughts

Postby k2kirov » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:01 pm

I would love to have an application that manages my money... i have serious money problems you see :P

haha

also a calorie counter for my meals .. i have huge fat problems ... you see also :P

muuuhahahaa
All Best,
Kiril Kirov
k2kirov
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby DJ~ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Your Android Travel Buddy:
    * records your itinery in a handy format, including bookings at hotels, tours and attractions
    * interacts with web hotel booking sites such as booking.com; location aware -- one click to find nearby hotels
    * find nearby restaurants too
    * uses social networking sites and location info to find out when your traveling friends will be in the same town/country as you at the same time, and recommends itinery changes to maximize overlap
    * reminds you to book for the uffizi 3 days before you arrive in florence
    * helps optimise your stop overs to get the most from a distance limited round the world ticket
    * realises automatically when you're in the wrong location becuase you've missed your flight, or forgotten to
    * records your expenditure on hotels and other bookings, so you can see your outgoings, analyses the relative costs of countries
    * see how much your upcoming bookings are going to cost, and how much debt you're about to get into
    * whenever you connect to a public wifi hotspot, your location is uploaded to a central server. Over time, this will develop into a worldwide map of wifi coverage; perfect when you're wodering how you're going to stay connected next week in Morocco.
    * warns you when your hotel or tour operator has a bad rating on tripadviser

hmmm... I could use something like that...
DJ~
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:04 am

DJ~ wrote:Your Android Travel Buddy:
    * records your itinery in a handy format, including bookings at hotels, tours and attractions
    * interacts with web hotel booking sites such as booking.com; location aware -- one click to find nearby hotels
    * find nearby restaurants too
    * uses social networking sites and location info to find out when your traveling friends will be in the same town/country as you at the same time, and recommends itinery changes to maximize overlap
    * reminds you to book for the uffizi 3 days before you arrive in florence
    * helps optimise your stop overs to get the most from a distance limited round the world ticket
    * realises automatically when you're in the wrong location becuase you've missed your flight, or forgotten to
    * records your expenditure on hotels and other bookings, so you can see your outgoings, analyses the relative costs of countries
    * see how much your upcoming bookings are going to cost, and how much debt you're about to get into
    * whenever you connect to a public wifi hotspot, your location is uploaded to a central server. Over time, this will develop into a worldwide map of wifi coverage; perfect when you're wodering how you're going to stay connected next week in Morocco.
    * warns you when your hotel or tour operator has a bad rating on tripadviser

hmmm... I could use something like that...

Now that would be a very nice app. I bet you most of those sites have developer API's too.

My app isn't very original but seeing as it hasn't been mentioned yet.

GPS Navigation on Android (like TomTom), TTS, the works.
Shawn
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 am

Hello Shawn,

you are doing such a thing :?:
Shawn wrote:GPS Navigation on Android (like TomTom), TTS, the works.

What did you use for Text-To-Speech :?:

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 pm

plusminus wrote:Hello Shawn,

you are doing such a thing :?:
Shawn wrote:GPS Navigation on Android (like TomTom), TTS, the works.

What did you use for Text-To-Speech :?:

Regards,
plusminus

Sorry what I meant to say was my idea (it was late when posted that).
Shawn
Freshman
Freshman

Postby linux-is-sexy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:02 am

Hi,
here ist what i like to see:
  • Good email (full imap support) proggi with gpg support
  • vim
  • nice landscape keyboard like the iphone, but inevery application that uses the keyboarde (unlike the iphone)
  • passwordsafe, maybe like kwallet so the browser and so on can store there passwords there
  • An android sync suite: That syncs: cal, contacts, notes, todos, bookmarks, sms, passwords, gpg keys i signed on my computer/phone should be synced and any directory i specify (like unison) so i can get my pdfs and djvus whenever i want to read
  • pdf and djvu viewer
  • just because its cool: texlive, so i can latex with vim
  • ssh
  • if someone calls id like to not answer but call em back right away because i'm on unlimited and the other isnt...so it be great to have a callback function so that I just have to push one button instead of rejecting the call and go to my phonebook
  • i'd like to have a ruby interpreter like irb or so

Best wishes
LiS
linux-is-sexy
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby sxjthefirst » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:06 am

A Cover flow widget fully customizable so we can use it for more than album covers.
Ability to sense when the phone is turned sideways so we can do a Iphone like flip sideways of our apps.
A way to check for and open a default app, set default apps. Sort of like File Association/Rundll32 in windows.
sxjthefirst
Developer
Developer

Postby kahaly » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:38 am

hi all,

We can have the OBD(On Board Diagnostic Device) in the car connected to android phone via bluetooth and have all the data of OBD transferred to the Phone. In this way we can have all that we need to know about the health of our car on our phone. It can hold data like the tyre pressure, Fuel meter, Engine condition etc. This is just an idea, it can be extended further.
kahaly
Once Poster
Once Poster

Homework App and Use phone/SD card as a memory stick

Postby fillthemup » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:43 am

I couldn't imagine having a smartphone without an application exactly like, or just like, this app (which I use absolutely every single day in college):

http://nosleepsoftware.sourceforge.net/ ... =yesterday

-----------

Also, an app that turns your phone into a memory stick/flash drive when plugged into your computer (or remotely?? ou)
fillthemup
Freshman
Freshman

Next

Return to Creative Corner