Porting Mupen64Plus to Android

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Re: Porting Mupen64Plus to Android

Postby paulscode » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Anyone who was having a problem with the app immediately crashing, please give the latest build a try:

--Links removed--
Last edited by paulscode on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 am

Today's Update:
- Mapped common Android buttons to recognizable SDL scancodes
- SDL scancodes printing to logcat when keys are pressed (for input config)
- Shutting app down smoothly when user presses "Home" to leave

--Links removed--
Last edited by paulscode on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Today's update:
- Mapped all known Android buttons to unique SDL scancodes
- Fixed the polygon sort-order bug

--Links removed--
Last edited by paulscode on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby BenjaminJC » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:41 pm

GAAAAH.

Simple reminder: DELETE PREVIOUS VERSIONS.

This has been a public service announcement
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby paulscode » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Today's Update:
- Added Toast message displaying SDL scancodes for keys when pressed
- Stopped device from entering sleep mode while app is running
- Fixed side-bar graphics glitches
- Removed 50-second crash

-- Links removed --

For those with missing graphics (Qualcomm chipsets), here is a version with the poly sort-order bug, until I fix the other problem:
-- Link removed --
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:27 pm

I decided to post an official build with the virtual gamepad, so folks can start testing it. I probably won't have time to make any updates or bug-fixes until I get back home (there are a couple known issues, see below)

-- Links Removed --

IMPORTANT: You will need to update the app data, because several changes were made, mainly to the button masks. If you do not update the app data, you will get weird behavior of random alternate buttons pressing when you are trying to press other buttons! In case anyone isn't familiar with how to do this, the easiest way to update the app data is to delete the folder app-data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus from your SDCard, The emulator's DataDownloader module will then automatically download the new data for you when you start the app.

Known Problems:
The first thing you will notice is that the hat image doesn't move. I purposely disabled this, because the call to "invalidate()", which tells the surface to redraw, was ridiculously slow and having a major hit on performance. I'll need to rethink how to redraw without requiring so much CPU power (possibly some kind of timed "redraw granularity" rather than redrawing on every touch event that involved the analog stick).

The second thing you will notice is that it is really easy to "drop" the analog stick if you slide your finger too far (while running forward, etc). I'll need to implement some type of "stick capture" logic.
Last edited by paulscode on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby redbulletnl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:00 pm

hi paul,

youre doing a good job ;) maybe its an idee to make a tablet version of it because tablets have bigger screens so you can make a game pad screen?
redbulletnl
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:15 am

redbulletnl wrote:hi paul,

youre doing a good job ;) maybe its an idee to make a tablet version of it because tablets have bigger screens so you can make a game pad screen?

I've added a virtual gamepad layout for tablets. If your device has a "search" button, you can iterate through the gampad layouts by pressing it when the emulator is running. If your tablet doesn't have a search button, you can enter which one to display manually, by editing app-data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus/skins/gamepads/gamepad_list.ini, and put the one you want to use first in the list. If you have any suggestions for additional layouts that would work well on tablets, let me know. These layouts are super-easy to edit and move things around (have a look at one of the pad.ini files to see how it works, and if you want to play around with the different button positions.)
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 am

Today's update:
- Fixed depth-buffer problem on Qualcomm chipsets
- Enabled volume up/down buttons control of volume
- (Still a shader bug on devices without Neon)

--Links removed--
Last edited by paulscode on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:53 am

I've added some hardware checking logic, since the depth bug fix requires different settings for different hardware. I'm not calling this an official build yet, though, because I haven't got results from very many devices yet (I fully expect the fix to NOT work on many devices until I have enough examples to notice some reliable patterns for each group).

-- LINKS REMOVED --

If anyone has problems with the shadows, stars, and carpet (missing, flickery, or sort-order incorrect) then please let me know which (if any) of the HW Info Test aps I posted work on your device, and provide me with the logcat output:
-- LINKS REMOVED --
Last edited by paulscode on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 am

Today's update:
- fixed shader bug on devices without Neon
- created separate SDL Scancode Finder app, removed scancode notifications from emulator app
- added hardware profiling to fix missing shadows and door stars in Mario64
- fixed crash when slide-out keypads or gamepads are opened or closed while app is running
- fixed crash caused by incoming calls or other view changes
- implemented Eeprom clock emulation

-- Links Removed --

I also built a simple SDL scancode finder, since the scancode notifications are no longer part of the emulator:
SDL Scancode Finder (source code)

Note: the hardware profiling is still new, so please let me know if you are missing shadows, stars, carpet, etc in Mario64, so I can improve the logic.
Last edited by paulscode on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:54 am

Here's an update:

-- Links Removed --

IMPORTANT: If you've run any of the previous tests, you must remove them completely before installing these versions, or you will receive signature errors and they won't install.

It's been a while since I posted an update here, so I won't go into all the changes (there have been a lot). Please stop by my website if you are interested in reading about recent progress, or ask me here if you have any questions.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:15 am

Here's the latest version (1.3). Please stop by my website if you are interested in reading the list of changes. or installing one of the archived earlier versions.

Release APK (source code)
This is the main version, for anyone who does not own an Xperia Play.

Xperia Play version (source code)
The Xperia Play version is identical to the previous build, except it is built to handle touch-pad input specific to the Xperia Play and automatically sets up common settings and button-mappings the first time it executes. If your device is not an Xperia Play, then use the other version.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby hgft » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 am

Coach Outlet Online Sale is with imperfections which consist of cuts, scars, and scratches will exist, the grain in its organically grown problem has between one of the most considerable dietary fibers strength, and getting a last end result between one of the most considerable durability. The grain also has organically grown breathability, resulting in increased comfort using the path from the wearer.

Louis Vuitton Outlet could possibly be one of the most well-known is not necessarily one of the most ideal for you! possibly the most current quarter round shoulder bag with fluorescent color provides you a shine in the moment, desire to possess the urge to it immediately; But possibly your pores and skin color could possibly be the earth beside the handbag could possibly be one of the most make you fondle admiringly joker choice.

Louis Vuitton Outlet supply reduce, the weakening from the role, tiny haystack in slender whole body once more and again. the right way to purchase Louis Vuitton bags That's between the powerful cohesion when Cunningham lancelet find yourself isolated point, allow wind and bad weather insulation, yr pursuing year, pile of grass system earlier short increased grass blanketed with it or bi erosion.

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck are the proud parents of a newborn son! The 39-year-old actress gave birth to the couple's third child in Santa Monica, Calif., a source tells Us Weekly. The family's newest addition joins older sisters Violet, 6, and Seraphina, 3. “I would have thought [Ben] wanted a boy]. At first … I really thought so,” Jen, who kept the baby's gender under wraps, told Jay Leno last month.
hgft
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby paulscode » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:58 am

Testers Needed

Please help test the new upgraded v1.99.5 core HERE.
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner