Nitendo DS emulator

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Nitendo DS emulator

Postby stece » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Is there a nitendo DS emulator for honeycomb already? 10" inch screens should be large enough :P

Maybe not on the android market but an other market??

If not, please make one :D :D I don't know how :(
stece
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Nitendo DS emulator

Postby blundell » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Don't think they have the computing power.

An emulator needs about ~5x the processing power of the original box.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby paulscode » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Actually, the Nintendo DS only had two relatively slow processors: an ARM946E-S 67MHz main CPU and an ARM7TDMI 33MHz co-processor. Even if 5X speed were required, most android devices have that easy ((67 MHz + 33 MHz) * 5) = 500MHz. That being said, I honestly don't think a Nintendo DS emulator on Android would require even that much speed, because most emulators are having to translate between different CPU architectures (for example NEC to x86). In this case, since Android devices and Nintendo DS both have ARM CPU architectures, the dynamic recompiling would almost certainly be far less complicated and probably pretty efficient.

I am actually thinking of tackling a Nintendo DS emulator when I finish with my Nintendo 64 emulator. May be a while, though (there's still a lot to do yet)
paulscode
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby stece » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 pm

paulscode wrote:Actually, the Nintendo DS only had two relatively slow processors: an ARM946E-S 67MHz main CPU and an ARM7TDMI 33MHz co-processor. Even if 5X speed were required, most android devices have that easy ((67 MHz + 33 MHz) * 5) = 500MHz. That being said, I honestly don't think a Nintendo DS emulator on Android would require even that much speed, because most emulators are having to translate between different CPU architectures (for example NEC to x86). In this case, since Android devices and Nintendo DS both have ARM CPU architectures, the dynamic recompiling would almost certainly be far less complicated and probably pretty efficient.

I am actually thinking of tackling a Nintendo DS emulator when I finish with my Nintendo 64 emulator. May be a while, though (there's still a lot to do yet)

wow, sounds cool :)
stece
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Creative Corner