Looking for some ideas regarding my game!

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Re: Looking for some ideas regarding my game!

Postby aspic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

BenjaminJC wrote:Sorry, my imagination is getting the better of me.

That is exactly what I need! My biggest "problem" at the moment is how players should fight over an celestial. Well, one player "owns" the celestial, while another player engage/attack that celestial. Right now, I just have an "attack"-button, which only does som random calculation of the outcome (loss of the attacker' units, and loss of the defender' units). After one player has done an attack, the defending player have one hour to react, either by further defend that celestial or flee from it. This works as an testing concept, but is rather boring in the long run. Any ideas on how I could/should implement this dynamic in a more fun way? I'm thinking something like the "Battleship" board game, but a bit simpler. Any idea is very welcome!
aspic
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BenjaminJC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:37 am

Hmmm. In an pan-galactic war, the duration could be countless eons...why not integrate a fun little "year" counter (no real value, but provides perspective) and implement the celestial bodies so that they provide diminishing returns of X resource until a point where they implode/explode/etc.

Unfortunately, I'm not too great at resource management programming. : (
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby aspic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah, I will implement some conversion to years. Currently it takes like 4 minutes to travel from one celestial to another (given distance of course). But my main question in the post was actually how I should implement the "war" between two players.

Giving eg. stars a fixed time to live is also a rather fun idea, I will definitely play around with that :)
aspic
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby aspic » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Well well, got a whole lot of work done in the weekend. I have finally decided for how the "battle system" should work. It is a lot like Advanced War (a game released to the Game Boy Advanced). Well, basically players have different units, and play them against each other on a battle field. Each unit have in finite amount of steps and so on, and when one player is all done, the other can start to move his units. I have gotten this system up and running now, and it looks kind of cool. Though, units only have a 9X9 matrix to move around on, is this to small (for now one unit is one square)?
aspic
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BenjaminJC » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 am

I've played Advance Wars I and II on GBA, as well as Mecho Wars, originally an iOS game in the same vein.

I think the formula is rather strong.

That said, there are always things that can be done to improve a winning strategy. After all, the competition is tough.

Again, these are just suggestions - I don't know if you have the manpower to actually implement them:

- Perhaps user-created AI to play against friends?
- Perhaps a DLC addon (so you actually make a profit from the extra coding) that allows users to create a custom unit to use in the campaign. [Some sort of AEP stat system that allows them to distribute into range/movement/armor etc.]
- customizable tile-sets? (As in, allow the user to draw and import their own galactic backgrounds?)

I don't worry about how ridiculous my suggestions are...
I just make em : D

Best of luck with the game. It sounds pretty solid already.
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby aspic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:07 pm

BenjaminJC: Thanks a lot for feedback :). Yeah, this formula beats the "random outcome based on units" which I used in the earlier stage of the development, though, this one requires hell of a lot more databasework :) I have gotten the abstract Unit class pretty much done, and it will be easy to implement several unit types later on (I have a goal of total 3 base units before releasing anything). Regarding your suggestions (which I always enjoy reading):

- Yeah, was thinking of some AI for a demo version or something. The complete game though will be entirely online based, so I do not need any form of game AI there yet.
- I'm not much fan of DLC (as a business model at least). But the idea of creating/influencing units in some way is cool. I'm thinking of this in some way where players can upgrade components of their units. Though, this is an implementation that can be set on my todo list, after a eventually release of the game.
- Yes! Maybe a "profile"-picture of some sort, that can be viewed by the other players. I have played around with such an idea, but is also something I will consider about implementing after a release.

I will post some new screens soon, stay put! :)
aspic
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BenjaminJC » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:07 pm

No prob. Another possible suggestion would be to perhaps farm out artwork / icons or something you don't have time for to a place like conceptart.org for a few bucks.

Eager to see the screens : D
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby BenjaminJC » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:36 pm

C'mon Aspic. Where are those screenshots?

I just got done with Galaxy on Fire II on my *other* device >.> and I need more Space, now.
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby aspic » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:11 am

Aww, I really admire your engagement! =)

Truth is that I got stuck on some problem cases (or, more how I should implement some things), which led to me taking a break from programming the game (it was very intense for some weeks). Then the reality hit me and I started to worry about exams and stuff (while doing another app for some profit). I'm in an intense exam period now, and won't be able to work on the game before at least after 20. December =/ But, I got to do a bit in the mean time (when I promised the screen shots), and here they are!:

Main menu, with some more buttons and some new layout:

A list over all the celestials my user currently is at war with, and a list over my own celestials (below):

The solar system I'm currently viewing (with test planets and so on):

The battlefield, after a user either clicks one of the wars (in the war overview), or directly clicks the celestial which he is involved in a war with (or defending):
aspic
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BenjaminJC » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 am

Dude, if it's exam season, you gotta get on that. I feel guilty for even asking for screenies now.

GOGO study.

!
Scoreloop
Get in the loop.
BenjaminJC
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Previous

Return to Creative Corner