"Fatal Frame" Style Game Using Camera

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

"Fatal Frame" Style Game Using Camera

Postby lusid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 am

So, I don't know why I was on a horror game kick tonight, but I had the urge to go through top 10 lists, etc. and just watch videos of some classic games that scared the hell out of me when I was younger. I realized that I had completely forgotten about Fatal Frame and how great of a game it was. If you don't know what it is, read up on it on Wikipedia or just watch a few of the videos at the bottom of this post. Basically, the game is Resident Evil except the enemies are ghosts and your weapon is a camera that can capture them. Simple concept, BIG reactions. So, how cool would it be to use this idea to create a real life game around the same premise?

Imagine this... with your Android phone in one hand and a flashlight in another, you find a scary spot to play... an empty house, a dark woodsy area, the creepier the better. When you start the game, it just looks like you are turning on your camera. You can actually see everything in the camera that you would normally see, so it feels real. Then, you turn around and shine your light in a dark area, and there's a ghostly figure coming towards you. You have to take pictures of it but it just keeps chasing after you.

As a developer, I know it is capable of doing this... using the GPS, camera, Open GL, and ability to modify the SurfaceView, it definitely could be done. It may not look absolutely stunning, but I think it could scare the hell out of someone.

I would be very interested in working on something like this if there were enough in the community that wanted to jump on and work together on it in true open source fashion. If not, then I just hope someone likes the idea enough to run with it. This would make for a killer time, especially if you had a group of people and could sync all of their phones to see the same things in the same places... or maybe I'm just dreaming. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Uemuj5Gew[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiX3EarB_0[/youtube]
lusid
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Creative Corner