Ethernet over USB for installation troubleshooting

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Ethernet over USB for installation troubleshooting

Postby nick_wa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am

Please let me elaborate a bit. The company I work for is getting me a Nexus one to test on their cellular network before they stock them. This is great and all however I wish to continue creating Android applications and had an idea that would benefit me and the company I work for.

We are an ISP in a small town who in addition to other services, provide <10 km wireless Internet to rural customers. Often we need to go to customers and fix their connection which requires connecting to modem via tablet PC over ethernet.

I am wondering if I can get an Ethernet to USB cable and connect to the modem via an IP address using this? I want to create an app for them to go to a customer, connect to the modem (via IP) with the Nexus One and be able to do whatever is needed.

Is this possible? Willing to do some coding to make it work if its possible. Thanks!!!
nick_wa
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Ethernet over USB for installation troubleshooting

Postby elliottmatthew » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:47 am

I am interesting to invention to do something in hardware part but I never think on about this before read here and I am equally eager to know more about this .
elliottmatthew
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Ethernet over USB for installation troubleshooting

Postby martinnman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:44 am

Ethernet does not require the installation of device driver software, but not USB. Modern systems use Microsoft Windows XP will be able to automatically install drivers for many broadband modems. However, the procedure varies depending on different operating systems and not all systems are compatible with a particular brand of modem.
martinnman
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Creative Corner