Encode Sony FS100/FS700 60p AVCHD to Avid DNxHD

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Encode Sony FS100/FS700 60p AVCHD to Avid DNxHD

Postby jssqmaty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 am

Sony has released a series of NEX Full HD 60p(50p for PAL) AVCHD camcorders. As far as I know, the most popular two camcorders are FS100(UK) and FS700(UK), and the two cams have more AVCHD importing problems than other NEXs'. From gooling, I found many users want to know how to successfully transfer FS100/FS700 1080 60p AVCHD. mts footages to Avid Media Composer. They always met the incompatible format messages wahen they try to get the 60p AVCHD Progressive to Avid MC, even using AMA Plugin.

From searching, I found there are two main reasons: First, AVCHD(MTS/M2TS) uses the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 standard, many Video Editing Softwares have to use a third party Plugin to surpport them. Second, the FS100/FS700 camer adopts the latest AVCHD 2.0 technology and they can record 1080/60p,50p unstandard formats, which are not surpported by Avid MC. But it doesn't mean that we can't bring FS100/FS700 AVCHD 2.0 files to Media Composer. There is an easy way to help me solve the incompatible importing problem, it is to re-encode 1080 60p AVCHD to Avid Media Composer surpported file format.

DNxHD is a lossy high-definition video post-production codec intended to be usable as both an intermediate format suitable for use while editing, which was developed by Avid Technology, Inc. So if we derectly transcode Sony NEX-FS100/FS700 1080 60p AVCHD to the native DNxHD without AMA and copy the converted file to Avid MC for editing, we won't any trouble. Now, I have to ask you that have you installed the Video covnerter or AVCHD Converter on your computer? If not, you'd better download the Brorsoft professional AVCHD to Avid MC Converter, which has the Avid buil-in Profile so that you can keep the original video quality with Avid's native DNxHD format. It has Windows and Mac versions, please free download it to have a try, I believe it will be your best choice.

Guide: Changing Sony FS100/FS700 1080 60p AVCHD to Avid DNxHD with Best Quality

Step 1. Connect your cmacorder to your PC/Mac, or insert your SD/memory card into the computer. The please open the Brorsoft MTS Converter and click "File to" add video.

Step 2. Choose "Avid DNxHD 1080p (*.mov)" from "Format > Avid Media Composer" menu.

Tip: If you are a Mac user, you will see the format as the below picture.

Step 3. Click "Settings" to set the video/audio parameter to get the best movie editing and video playbck.

Step 4. Tick the "Convert" button to start converting Sony FS100/FS700 AVCHD to Avid DNxHD.

As soon as the fast conversion ends, click "open" to find the converted video. Then you are able to drag and drop it to Avid Media Composer for freely editing.

Related Guide:

Get Sony NEX-7 MTS video to Avid Media Composer 5

Convert/Edit Sony FS100 AVCHD recordings to FCP 7

Convert Sony NEX-FS700 AVCHD to ProRes
jssqmaty
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Creative Corner