Email Client

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

Email Client

Postby ismarc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 am

According to all the reports I could find, the "stock" email client for the G1 won't include MS Exchange support. Because of this, and the obvious benefit Exchange support would bring, I've been working on an API to easily add Exchange support to an email application. No need to worry about the underlying "how it works" for an email client developer. Included in it is planned for Calendar and contact support as well. Since my G1 will (hopefully) arrive on the 22nd, I've been pushing myself to have it complete by then.

Since I would rather not implement a full email client and instead just do the API, I realized that setting a deadline without cooperation from someone developing an email client was pretty useless. The current plan is to open source the API (it can likely be useful outside of Android and even in non-email related activities, like polling exchange for contact information for calls, or calendar related functionality).

Does anyone know of any email clients in development, or tasty rumors about the email client for the G1 getting open sourced so it can be added?
ismarc
Freshman
Freshman

Postby michang05 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 am

try apache commons-net and some socket programming in java, i did it and was cool
Everybody Lies!
michang05
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 pm

You could probably use the build in (non gmail) email client for displaying you emails. That way you don't need to have a serperate email client and the system isn't clogged with lots of the same applications.
MrSnowflake

Postby ismarc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 am

MrSnowflake wrote:You could probably use the build in (non gmail) email client for displaying you emails. That way you don't need to have a serperate email client and the system isn't clogged with lots of the same applications.

Unless I'm missing something, there is currently no known way to completely change the way the built in email sends and receives email. I am sending this from my G1 right now, and the email client ONLY supports POP3 and IMAP. There is no Exchange ActiveSync support. There is no Exchange WebDAV support. There is no Exchange Web Services support. I posted in here initially to find out if anyone was working on a client or had heard of plans of open sourcing the email client so I WOULD NOT be duplicating work and flooding the market with duplicate apps.

I'm going to finish my API and hope that they open source the client (calendar app open would be great, too).
ismarc
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 pm

I know it only supports imap and pop, but you could send the received mail to the content provider the email app uses. Well, as long as it uses a content provider. That was my idea.
I should have made this more clear.
MrSnowflake

Return to Creative Corner