convert Sony FS700U AVCHD to ProRes for editing in FCP X

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

convert Sony FS700U AVCHD to ProRes for editing in FCP X

Postby jssqmaty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 am

The 4K camcorder Sony NEX-FS700(U) is very popular for us, it can capture full 1080p video in a range of frame rates up to 60p (50p for PAL), have you guiys got the cam? If so, you may meet the problem with the 1080p 60p MTS with FCP X. Because I know many users are asking that how to smoothly get the Sony FS700 footaes to FCP X. It is said FCP X 10.0.4 or above can recongnise the video from S700 sometimes, but many users still meet the incompatibl troubles.

Guys, do you know how to easily solve the question? Upgrade? I thought it was a good way, but I failed. And I had to go to Google for searching. Luckily, I found the native format was ProRes for Final Cut Pro X. Then I decided to convert my video to the comaptble format for importing by using the MTS to FCP X Converter from Brorsoft. The program work fine and help me to fastly transcode Sony FS700 MTS file to ProRes. I think it is the best way to make 1080p 60p MTS editable for FCP X so far. Here I want to share it with all friends.

Step 1. Download and install the best Mac MTS Converter and click "file" to add .mts/.m2ts video from FS700.

Step 2. Click on the “Format” and get the dropdown menu, then move you pointer to “Final Cut Pro”. You can choose choose “Apple PreRes 422(HQ)” for keeping original video quality. Then you can set the output folder by clicking “Browse” icon as you need.

Tricks:

1) If you want the files to be in smaller size, you can select Apple ProRes 422(LT)(*mov) or Apple ProRes 422(*mov) option.

2) If your files size is at SD levels, you are advised to choose Apple ProRes 422(Proxy)(*mov), which is recommended for 480i/p and 576i/p shootings as well.

Step 3. Set the video frame rate as 30fps, video size as 1920*1080 to keep the best setting as the below picture via clicking “Settings”.

Step 4. Start to transcode Sony FS700 MTS to ProRes for FCP X by clicking the “Convert” button.

Once the fast conversion ends, you you can easily put the exported video to FCP X for editing freely without any trouble.
jssqmaty
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Creative Corner