4 unique ideas

Your ideas for any killerapplication that comes to your mind ;)

4 unique ideas

Postby nuentes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Ok, so I just spent the past few hours testing myself to find if I am smart enough, or patient enough to learn how to write apps.

Turns out, I'm not.

But that doesnt mean I dont have great ideas! I just dont have the training, and the time it takes to write these apps. So now I will post my 4 favorite app ideas, and allow someone else to gain almost all the credit for it. Kudos to you, whoever you are. I will list the ideas in order of their simplicity.

1) Search for the best fm station available for an fm transmitter. I got the idea after buying an fm transmitter, and not being able to find any open frequencies in my area (Los Angeles). I eventually stumbled upon this site:
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant , and the idea was born. This app should allow you to either manually input your zip code, or have it found by GPS. Great information to have if you have an fm transmitter, and you are travelling.

2) Something to remind you when your stuff is going to expire! It would alert you when things like your car registration, phone contract, drivers license, car insurance, or maybe even when certain food in the fridge is going to go bad.

3) A car accident app. Basically, it would be an app that would provide quick links to call a tow truck, 911, or local police in case of an emergency. The app would also give you a place to enter multiple other drivers info (i.e. insurance, license, registration, etc), as well as store all your own. Some parts of the app would be password protected, of course. Also, the app would be able to activate GPS, and find your exact location, and list it as an interestion, or an address, to make it easier on the tow truck/police who need to find you. I have a lot of other details worked out.

4) This one is the most complicated, but by far my favorite. Its a traffic widget! The idea is, you would tell it the route you take most frequently. Say for example, you take 2 highways to work each day. It would basically search google traffics data for only those two highways, and only the sections you will drive on, and only the direction you will be driving. If there is heavy traffic, it would suggest you take an alternate route. You could program it to only check at certain times of the day, on certain days. So for me, I work M-F, and I leave home at 6:50AM, and leave work at 3:30pm, so I would have it check only on M-F, at about 6:40AM, and 3:20PM only. The rest of the time, the widget would just say something like "Have a nice day off", or "sorry you are still at work"

So if you want more specifics, just email me! duboisaj@yahoo.com
nuentes
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby ashish » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:34 am

point no 2 is really useful..
ashish
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby nick_wa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 am

In regards to No 4, we just did this for our fourth year final university project. Essentially phone is updating our web server on its location and speed, etc., based on its current route, we keep stats for each "segment" of road for each time slot in the day (each 20 minute section of the day). We look for deviations from the average and weed through the data to determine whether or not congestion exists and if so, return this to the device where a red line will be drawn over portions of the road where congestion is being reported.

Looking right now to see if the idea can progress and go anywhere. As far as we know it is a unique idea in Canada. There are other crowd-sourced GPS devices in US but we are pushing in Canadian market. We'll see what happens I guess :)
nick_wa
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby vanessagarcia1 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 am

All 4 are great but I like most 1st one . In first point provided link have useful stuff , you have to enter only zip code and you will find interesting information . I am wondering after seeing this. Why I was wondering that I have not mentioned here because I want every body try this .
vanessagarcia1
Freshman
Freshman

Re:

Postby Trip » Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm

ashish wrote:point no 2 is really useful..

isnt that what the calendar's for ? lol

but i see what you mean ... a simplified calendar with a reminder widget you could even write 2 separate apps 1 widget and the other the app to store the reminders in the calendar
Trip
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: 4 unique ideas

Postby sonia.gopalakrishnan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 am

hello..anyone did the second one? i wanna do the second appln, ie the reminder.. No idea hw to implement that..somebody pls help me ...
sonia.gopalakrishnan
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Creative Corner