Android Snippets Collection (beta)

Quickly share your Android Code Snippets here...

Android Snippets Collection (beta)

Postby metachris » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Hey guys!

Recently I stumbled over djangosnippets.org, a website to share and review useful code snippets. I realized it would be nice to have for the Android Platform as well, as there are lot's of great pieces of code scattered around various websites and forums (with anddev being one of my favorite ressources : ). It's an advantage for everyone to have accessible repositories of freely usable, tested source code for different tasks.

It turned out that djangosnippets released the source code of their website under an open source license and i adopted it to work with Django 1.0 and made lots of minor improvements. The result is the website androidsnippets.org.

Not many people have seen this site before; this is actually the first beta version of it. I'd be grateful for any feedback and suggestions; and perhaps someone would even care enough to try and submit a snippet! ;) I'll probably keep adding and changing the website a lot, based on what kind of feedback you guys give me!

Features include commenting, bookmarking and rating of snippets, search functions, OpenID authentication and a bookmarklet for simpler code submission. Once everything runs stable, I'll release the current version of the code again!

- Chris

[edit]moved here from off-topic[/edit]
metachris
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby rshortt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Chris,

That's cool, I've bookmarked your site. I am also a Django user and occasionally visit djangosnippits as well. Good luck with it and remember to consitantly post new content... It's hard to start a new site!

-Rob
rshortt
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby metachris » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:24 am

Hey,

Thanks for your feedback and encouragement! I've had a few hours to update the interface (easier to read snippet titles, etc) and to release our code under the BSD license again.

Cheers!
- Chris
metachris
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby secoif » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:14 am

Hi, good idea for a site...

Would be good if the snippets were able to be edited by members (eg add comments, revisions, etc).

Also noticed this while signing up:
If you're joining Sitename, associate your OpenID with a new account. If you're already a member, associate with your existing account.

Thought I'd let you know!

Maybe you could consider harvesting the snippets from the various android forums and maybe integrating with andbook?
secoif
Freshman
Freshman

Postby metachris » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I didn't notice the OpenID message before, it's fixed now.

Also the upvote image was very small, almost too small to be noticed. for fun i tried something a bit more polished and inviting, like the ones on uservoice. it's just a quick implementation, but already looks a lot better and is something to start with! What do you think about it? eg http://www.androidsnippets.org/snippets/31/

And finally: the editing feature... i think that is an awesome idea and something i've thought about before. if a submitter get's inactive, users should be able to submit enhancements and/or other ways to do the same.

It would be possible to start with just an "Enhance / Fork" button somewhere in the sidebar, and later on figure out how to display improvements or similar snippets at the "original" ones. Could be an awesome feature in fact.
metachris
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Android Snippets Collection (beta)

Postby penano » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:33 pm

ey metachris!!!..Your site looks too interesting...I have visited and was usefull...!!!

Take a view of my site if you want...

Everybody is invited to visit it!!!..

the site is http://www.android10.org/

If you want to help...let me know!!!...

I will appreciate comments and suggestions

See you guys!!!
penano
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Code Snippets for Android