Avoid non-mobile ad networks (incl Adsense) in your app- ban

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Avoid non-mobile ad networks (incl Adsense) in your app- ban

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Just a heads up,

I was using Adsense in Real Estate Droid for about a month and a half. The app opens webviews at points, which displayed adsense ads along with the content. I was banned by Adsense last week, and my appeal was denied. Of course, they offer no explanation of why they banned me.

The explanations I can guess are:
1) T-Mobile traffic comes through a limited number of proxies, so it looks like only ~100 hosts are generating all that traffic instead of ~75000, so the traffic looks invalid.
2) They don't want Adsense for Content running on pages that are primary seen my mobile devices, even if those devices are fully capable of displaying the ads and rich web content. I had Adsense for Mobile on some pages, and Adsense for Content on others.
3) Someone thought it would be a good idea to help me out and clicked on my ads constantly. Or someone hates me and decided to click on the ads constantly to get me banned.
4) I had forgotten to put up a privacy policy. I put one up as part of my appeal, but I don't know if they actually considered that.

egyptianbman has already been banned by two other major non-mobile ad networks, and of course they don't give him any explanation either.

So if you're planning to monetize your app with ads, stick to the mobile ad networks. This kind of ruins me, because one of my apps had a very targeted, valuable demo, and all of the mobile ads are generally untargeted, but there's really no other option.

I do feel justified in pointing out the irony of Adsense disabling ads for an Android app. Like a snake biting its tail. It would be funny if it didn't reduce my income by $250/mo.
Search "Awesome Android Apps" in the market
http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby mako » Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 am

Hi,

This is from the Adsense policy page:

To ensure a positive experience for Internet users and Google advertisers, sites displaying Google ads may not:
* Display Google ads, search boxes or search results as a result of the actions of software applications such as toolbars.

Google ads, search boxes or search results may not be:
* Integrated into a software application of any kind, including toolbars.
* Placed on any non-content-based page.
* Placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads.

They could have applied these rules. Still it is quite a gray area we are in as Android developers. In a case such as a High Score page you could say that it is a fully independent page which has a right of existence on its own, allowing it to be used for Adsense ads. But if you have an empty page with an Adsense block on it purely to embed it as a web view, it is out of the gray into the dark for sure.
mako
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 pm

"* Display Google ads, search boxes or search results as a result of the actions of software applications such as toolbars. "

I never actually saw this before. If I had seen that line I would have thought twice. It's still a bit of gray area for me, since the user can get to the results page by either my app, or by filling in a web form that has nothing to do with an app.

I've seen several apps with adsense on the high score page. Not sure how long it will work out for them, or if they'll come down on the fortunate side of Google's uneven enforcement.
Search "Awesome Android Apps" in the market
http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to General