A70 Froyo - Locked Down Application

A70 Froyo - Locked Down Application

Postby temma2k2 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi All

Two quick questions...

1.) Is it possible using the Android SDK to register an application as a start-up application? So that it is loaded immediately as the OS loads?

2.) Is it possible to detect when the device has been disconnected from a power supply and power down the device, and then power up the device once the power supply has been switched back on?

P.S. We're planning on using Archos 70s running Android 2.2.

Thanks in advance.
temma2k2
Freshman
Freshman

Re: A70 Froyo - Locked Down Application

Postby blundell » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Quick Answers

1) Yes http://www.androidcompetencycenter.com/ ... e-at-boot/

2) Hmm Yes when it has been disconnected, although may be root users only, not sure about reconnection. This might be NDK stuff and not SDK. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3480663
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby temma2k2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Just to catch people up where we are in the convosation, sorry was pm'n instead of forum posting!

[Q] A70 Froyo - Locked Down Application
Sent: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm
by temma2k2

Hi Blundell,

Can i ask a bit more why you may think it may work for removal of the power but not powering up the device?

Also can you explain what NDK is?

Let me tell you a bit more about us, we are a company that is installing the Archos 70 as a fixed application and are wanting to lock down the application to just our app on boot and not let people navigate away from our app. Another problem we are having is the pop up menu on the screen with home, search, menu and back buttons on it. Would you know if we could remove this menu on the Archos Android 2.2?

Kind Regards
Sam

Re: [Q] A70 Froyo - Locked Down Application
Sent: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm
by blundell

If you want to replace all that your best of making a 'home' replacement application. Have a look at this: http://developer.android.com/resources/ ... index.html

The NDK allows you more access to some lower levels of the android system: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/overview.html but looking at it again, this doesn't meet your requirements.

As for powering up the device, I've never written anything that can do this, that is why I said I don't know.

Sent: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 am
by temma2k2

Hi,

Would i be able to use just an apk that was a basic webview application as my home app?

When you use a home app do you loose all the icons etc?

Just that page you pointed me to, didnt go to deep into saying what one was?

Kind Regards
Sam

Sent: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am
by blundell

To stop people navigating away from your app, you need be a home app. Otherwise people can navigate away from your app to ... home.

Why would you want the icons if the phone is locked down to just your app.
temma2k2
Freshman
Freshman

Postby temma2k2 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:53 pm

So could i wrap up a web view as my home app and have that pointing to a web address and have only that showing on the archos and nothing else?

So essentially all other app launchers would not be there etc and the device would just boot to my app and thats it there would be no other functionality?

If so could you provide an example or some example code for this?
temma2k2
Freshman
Freshman

Postby blundell » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:19 pm

You should take a look at the home app tutorial
http://developer.android.com/resources/ ... index.html

The Home.java Activity just extends Activity so I don't see anything wrong with just making this a WebView.

You would have to see if the context menu is part of the home app (which I assume it is), if you didnt have this in your app. Then yes the phone would just boot your app and nothing else would be possible.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby temma2k2 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks blundell, i am now just looking at the possible power solution and was hoping that someone may have the answer on this forum?

Do you know of anyone that might of done this before?
temma2k2
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Bestech » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:34 am

The author has written an excellent article. You made your point and not much to discuss. It's like this universal truth that you can not argue with the truth is not universal, everything has its exception. Thanks for this information
Desulphurization
Gas engine generator
Bio gas
Bestech
Freshman
Freshman

Postby daavidfischer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 am

As far as I know about Android phones both the answers are yes. These two things are possible in the ANdroid phone. I do believe that the phone shows the symbol for Power when it is powering. Rest I am not sure about.

Thanks
Is snoring troubles you?
snoring cures
daavidfischer
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Archos Devices