G1 - T-Mobile - HTC - (formerly HTC Dream)

News-Author Reviews on Android based Phones
All manufactures (like HTC) and carriers (like T-Mobile)

G1 - T-Mobile - HTC - (formerly HTC Dream)

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello Community,

Shops
The shop's seem to have about 70-100 G1's ready for customers, so as you read this, it is probably to late :(

Pricing
The device itself was $399,99 (would have been $179 with a 2year-contract) + I decided for FlexPay which is monthly $29,99 for Voice and $34,99 for unlimited data and messaging.

Startup
I made my G1 crash on the very first start when one has to put the Google-Account. The reason for that was probably because I did that 1 minute after I left the store. Arriving home about 30 mins later it worked like a charm.
Image Image

HOME
The HOME-Screen is awesome. (Grats to romainguy here :!:) It can be slided once to the right and to the left. It is highly customizable and has the Google-Search-Widget which supports Google-Suggest.
Image Image

Browser
Image Image

Accelerometer
The accelerometer is awesome and almost realtime.
Its not easy to make a video and play at the same time :D

IM
No direct ICQ :( , but AIM, GoogleTalk, WindowsLive, Yahoo! Messenger

Youtube
Videos can be watched well, even via EDGE. The videos load at about 2x speed than they can be actually watched. The Video-Quality on EDGE is obviously not the best, but via WiFi you'll get HD-Videos. I'm really fine with the sound quality. The loudness is great :)

Market
Could not install apps (via EDGE), where it should work. Downloading Apps remained in state "Starting download..." :(

Music-Player
The G1 comes preloaded with a couple of songs and of course can run the songs in background, while running any other Activity. So listening to your favorite music, while broswing the web is easily possible.
Image Image

Apps
Could not install apps properly via the Browser, where it should work. The (signed) apks asked for every existing permission :shock: where they should not.
romainguy_ plusminus_: for your browser install issue, it seems like you have an early 1.0 build that contained this bug
romainguy_ we fixed it since then

Display
The display is sharp and bright. The capacitive touchscreen works amazing and is incredibly responsive

Keyboard
Even I with my big fingers I can easily press all the keys.
What is nice is the full number row, the two Shift/ALT-Keys and the Menu-Button.
One can assign shortcut-keys to almost every of the keys to open various applications.

Trackball
In the very beginning I was very skeptic about the trackball, but from the point, where I actually started using it I loved it immediately. It might cost some days to make usage perfect as for now I use to jump always one item to far ;)

System-Updates
System Updates will be done over the air, but only on reasonable bugs/new features as it costs a lot of bandwidth.

GPS
GPS needs to be turned on manually and took some seconds to go hot and it worked about 1 meter from a window at my house. See it determine the Position better, as more satellites come into 'sight'.
Image Image Image

/plusminus for anddev.org
Last edited by plusminus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby atrus123 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:02 pm

So far I really dig mine. The only real problem I've had is that it came with the wrong adapter.

Also, I'm finding that when I switch between portrait and landscape, my application automatically switches to tab 1. Still trying to resolve that (though that's my fault and not the phone's). :D

Anyway, it's a very solid device, and I love the keyboard. It feels very well put together. Also, I don't think the emulator does Android any justice. The OS runs very well on the G1... better than expected.
atrus123
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:04 pm

:uarrow: update :uarrow:
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jasont » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:34 pm

plusminus wrote: :uarrow: update :uarrow:

Keep the updates coming, oh and give Amazed a go!
jasont
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Nice, I'm pretty jealous right now. How do you see the dpad being replaced by the trackball in games?

Btw: +- You were European weren't you?
MrSnowflake

Postby coding_android » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:19 pm

It would be nice to know if there is some additional messenger app in the android market available. I need full XMPP (Jabber) and ICQ messaging and not some cutted down version.
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Re: G1 - T-Mobile - HTC - (formerly HTC Dream)

Postby Danuubz » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:22 pm

plusminus wrote:The device itself was $399,99 (would have been $179 with a 2year-contract) + I decided for FlexPay which is monthly $29,99 for Voice and $34,99 for unlimited data and messaging.

Is it possible to quit the 'FlexPay' at any point of time?

question 2: is it possible to access internet through a DSL W-LAN Router (as G1 has Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11b/g)?
I'm currently living in an non-3G-area :cry:
Danuubz
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: G1 - T-Mobile - HTC - (formerly HTC Dream)

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Danuubz wrote:Is it possible to quit the 'FlexPay' at any point of time?

I was told so, yes. (Its monthly, if you don't pay the bill your out)

Danuubz wrote:question 2: is it possible to access internet through a DSL W-LAN Router (as G1 has Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11b/g)?
I'm currently living in an non-3G-area :cry:

Yes the G1 is wifi enabled and supports 802.11g I think with WEP and WPA.
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Danuubz » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks very much for the answers!

There's one more thing that makes me doubt whether to order it from the USA /buy it on Ebay: The thing with the Google Account. The question is if the G1 would be able 'communicationg with google servers' from Germany. Especially from a non-3G-area.....
:?

How does it work with putting the Google Account (can it cause trouble in 'offshore' regions)?
Danuubz
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby atrus123 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:09 am

Danuubz wrote:Thanks very much for the answers!

There's one more thing that makes me doubt whether to order it from the USA /buy it on Ebay: The thing with the Google Account. The question is if the G1 would be able 'communicationg with google servers' from Germany. Especially from a non-3G-area.....
:?

How does it work with putting the Google Account (can it cause trouble in 'offshore' regions)?

I had heard that T-Mobile was bringing the device to Europe not long after the US release. Maybe you would be best served waiting. At least that way, you'll know for sure that it'll work properly.
atrus123
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:18 am

MrSnowflake wrote:Nice, I'm pretty jealous right now. How do you see the dpad being replaced by the trackball in games?

Btw: +- You were European weren't you?

I've been using the trackball for AndPipes and AndSudoku. I think is perfect for every game that is rasterized in any way.

Yes, I'm German but currently abroad for 5 more months from now.

Best Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spirolateral » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:37 am

where did you get the information about system updates? i was wondering how they would be done.
spirolateral
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:40 am

spirolateral wrote:where did you get the information about system updates? i was wondering how they would be done.

From an Android-Google-Dev/Employee I trust :)
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spirolateral » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 am

plusminus wrote:
spirolateral wrote:where did you get the information about system updates? i was wondering how they would be done.

From an Android-Google-Dev/Employee I trust :)

will they be automatic? how will we be notified of updates?
spirolateral
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 am

He didn't tell that, but I assume it might happen when starting the device up :?
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Android Phone Reviews