G1 - T-Mobile - HTC - (formerly HTC Dream)

News-Author Reviews on Android based Phones
All manufactures (like HTC) and carriers (like T-Mobile)

Postby spirolateral » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:48 am

does anyone know how to install non-market place apps on this phone? i installed one when the apk was linked from a website, but if i just put apk file on the sd card, is there a way to install it?
spirolateral
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 am

spirolateral wrote:does anyone know how to install non-market place apps on this phone? i installed one when the apk was linked from a website, but if i just put apk file on the sd card, is there a way to install it?

:arrow: See this post
Last edited by plusminus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spirolateral » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 am

plusminus wrote:
spirolateral wrote:does anyone know how to install non-market place apps on this phone? i installed one when the apk was linked from a website, but if i just put apk file on the sd card, is there a way to install it?

:arrow: [url=ef.to/Jo5]See this post[/url]

i don't think the url is correct :)
spirolateral
Developer
Developer

Postby GasBot » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:45 am

spirolateral wrote:
plusminus wrote:

:arrow: [url=ef.to/Jo5]See this post[/url]

i don't think the url is correct :)

debugging-installing_apps_on_the_g1_windows_driver-t3236.html
GasBot
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Nuladion » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:07 am

Grats on getting one! So if I get this right, if I order one from the US it will work in Holland too? Can I just use a Dutch T-Mobile subscription, or do I have to get an American one? And will all the features work in Holland, without extra costs?

Thanks in advance for the information :)
Nuladion
Developer
Developer

Postby coding_android » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:39 am

Could you tell me how frequently the app "Locale" is updating its position and how battery draining the app is? I'm just wondering how good these GPS based apps perform regarding the battery life.
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Postby androooooid » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 am

What is the runtime you are getting if you are browsing the internet constantly?
androooooid
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ferjon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:55 pm

I hope it'll arrive soon here in asia
ferjon
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Nuladion wrote:Grats on getting one! So if I get this right, if I order one from the US it will work in Holland too? Can I just use a Dutch T-Mobile subscription, or do I have to get an American one? And will all the features work in Holland, without extra costs?

I think I cannot give you information about that, which you could rely on, sorry. But from the Hardware-Side it should work.

androooooid wrote:What is the runtime you are getting if you are browsing the internet constantly?

Hard to guess, but I think it will last for a whole workday, if you use it frequently. (Switching Wifi and GPS off and using just 2G should increase time.

coding_android wrote:Could you tell me how frequently the app "Locale" is updating its position and how battery draining the app is? I'm just wondering how good these GPS based apps perform regarding the battery life.

Unfortunately I cannot download apps from the market, it hangs when the DL says "Starting Download..." :(
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby coding_android » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52 am

For all the users that want to get the G1 working without a T-Mobile contract this link could be interesting:

:arrow: http://www.loveforbiz.com/...

It allows you to get behind the startup activation screen.
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Postby confused » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Very interesting, can't wait for it to arrive in the UK :D
confused
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby blundell » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:45 pm

So i'm taking from this, you can buy an unlocked G1 from a UK website or a G1 still locked off ebay(UK).
Put a pay as you go TMobile sim card in it, and it will work perfectly?

Connect to WiFi & connect to Sim Card Internet aswell? Any info much appreciated!
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Experiencing G1

Postby William Wen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 am

I got a brand new G1 from US, it's so cool. Here are my ten feelings about it:
1.Cool screen touch operating;
2.Various internet options. I've tested Edge and WiFi, it's fast;
3.Browsing web is just the same as using PC, display of web page can be self-adjusted;
4.Email is powerful. Gmail is a default application; new email in Gmail can be notified. And you can get emails by setting up any email accounts;
5.It's a good feeling to use Google maps which can be switched to map, satellites and street view mode easily. The function for location is powerful; you can be located on map via WiFi, mobile network and GPS;
6.It's easy to download applications from Android market;
7.AIM, Gtalk, MSN, Yahoo!Messenger are integrated into IM;
8.SMS is showed in conversation mode; I can compose SMS in Chinese via an application called APowerSMS downloaded from Android market;
9.Youtube, Amazon MP3 are all default applications.
10.The most important is that you can write any application you can and install it to G1, thanks to the openness of Android platform.

For pictures, check my blog: http://tunaforfreedom.spaces.live.com/b ... !224.entry
William Wen
William Wen
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

different language support

Postby kali » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm

i want different language support in mobile,so if possible send some link and code for me
kali
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby kali » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:42 am

hay friends
i want to know how to restart emulator from which is running application.
such as to close any application we use finish();.

[mod]This has nothing to do with a review about the G1. Post it in the designated sub-forum or thread
kali
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Android Phone Reviews