What Android Phones exist and with a GPU if any?

Discuss the variety of Android powered devices from various manufacturers.

What Android Phones exist and with a GPU if any?

Postby tberthel » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:50 am

Anyone know of a good Android Phone release date and/or spec list?

More importantly what phones will have a GPU?

Of the GPU phones will any have anything other than Power VR?
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

GPU + android

Postby sbike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:59 am

Popular rumors claim a G1/HTC Dream is coming soon and uses the qualcomm 7201 CPU. Definitely plausible, and other similar phones are shipping with the same CPU.

Specs are available:
http://www.qctconnect.com/products/msm_7201.html

Specifically mentioned are:
Up to 4 million triangles per second, and 133 million depth-tested, textured 3D pixels per second fill rate.

I can't say anything about android support of that particular hardware feature, but it certainly sounds plausible.

Also mention is java acceleration, no idea if that's compatible with Android's virtual machine, nor if Google licensed Jazelle™. I do know of other pda/cell phones that didn't because of the expense.
sbike
Freshman
Freshman

Postby tberthel » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:04 am

LOL. Better late than never I guess. I wrote that in April.

I knew about the Qualcomm 7201 running Doom long ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH1Rd-T1rYM

Although, I didn't know at the time that it was going into the G1 Dream until the very end of July.

I can't imagine one of the ARMs on it not running Jazelle.

I was surprised when I found out that the first phone would have a decent GPU. I was expecting some of the to have a Power VR.

I was also expecting/hoping that some of the slower phones to come out at the same time with early OMAPs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZ_S7eP0uc

So I could sale some 2D games.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Jazelle

Postby sbike » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:13 am

Heh, I knew it was awhile ago, but figured I'd reply anyways.

As for jazelle no idea, seems like it's targeted for cell phone hardware makers who want access to the java games to make their handsets more attractive.

Google on the other hand has already written a virtual machine called Dalvik which isn't really a JVM. Java binaries are translated into Dalvik binaries before they are loaded on the phone. So Jazelle would likely be useless. Then again if some special hardware functionality made Jazelle faster, say some custom instructions, then it's possible that android would use them. Then again Dalvik has some significantly differences, for instance Dalvik is register based and the JVM is stack based... so stack optimizations won't help dalvik.

I'm most familiar with the nokia n770 and n800, last I checked neither used the graphics operations (like bitblt) of the CPU, nor do they use jazelle. Not that java is a big part of the maemo platform.... although slinging pixels around on the beautiful 800x480 screen is... *sigh*.

In any case I expect android on the MSM7201 to be a very interesting platform with or without jazelle.
sbike
Freshman
Freshman

Postby tberthel » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am

I expect that GCJ will run on Android soon also. So, it still could help. I can't imagine Jazelle or Dalvik not adopting each other.

With Brew being integrated into Android in less than 6 months I would expect that plenty of pixels will be flying no matter what language you use.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 pm

Depending on the success of Android, maybe ARM could make a processor, that (like Jazelle for Java) executes Dalvik-Bytecode even faster... :P
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Android Devices