Non-Phone Android Devices

Discuss the variety of Android powered devices from various manufacturers.

Non-Phone Android Devices

Postby DMacATTACK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 am

Hey Everyone,
I was doing so googling on some of the non-phone Android devices, and found there are quite a few, but not all available yet. I have a project in mind which I involves larger screen Android Device, and (so-far) this is what I've found:
Most of these can be found on youtube:
Wiki - Android Devices

Out of the ones available on the market, which can be developed on are (That I know of):

Barnes & Noble Nook (Which has been rooted) {Nook Devs}

Archos 5

If anyone has done any development on any of these, or has info on others let me know. Thanks
-Dan-
DMacATTACK
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby DMacATTACK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm

I have also found some documentation on live-android which is a Desktop OS. Its pretty cool, I've been playing a bit with it in a virtual box, it helps to know a bit about linux, and linux filesystem.
DMacATTACK
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Archos 5 Android

Postby happyzax » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I just purchased an Archos 5 to begin developing for Android tablets. It's frustrating right now because so many are coming, but right now there are are so few you can actually get your hands on.

I like the Archos 5. The larger screen is nice, but the lack of hardware buttons for Home/Menu/Back means they are simulated on-screen which works ok, except it does take up space. Even though it matches the resolution of a Nexus One, the soft-buttons take up some of that space. And not all apps adapt to this correctly. Besides the buttons, it does not have a camera or haptic feedback.

I hope the newer Android tablets will be more hardware complete. The only feature I don't mind missing from Android tablets is the 3G. I figure that my applications will be in a local area where WiFi is the best choice.
happyzax
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby DMacATTACK » Sun May 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info.
I would get one and try it out for myself, but its a little expensive for just a trial and error. :?

I tested some of my programs out on the Desktop OS I mentioned before, and its pretty straight forward, minus the physical buttons of course, and a different screen resolution.

Be sure to post your progress, I'm interested to see how it goes.

Dan
DMacATTACK
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Android Devices