Android - System requirements ?

Discuss the variety of Android powered devices from various manufacturers.

Android - System requirements ?

Postby dekrain » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:02 am

Hey guys,

do you know anything about the System Requirement :?: , the GUI looks so cute :roll: ,
so I hope they will not be too high... what would lead to a pretty high price :?

gn8
dekrain
dekrain
Freshman
Freshman

Android - System Requirements !

Postby plusminus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:06 am

Hehe,
I was just googling on that myself. And I just found it ...
Source
www.news.com/ wrote:(Date: Published: November 12, 2007)
Q: What were the primary development challenges for Android? Did you design it with high-end or mainstream hardware in mind, and what are the system requirements?
Rubin: When we built the system, we wanted it to be as flexible as possible. We did a lot of work to write our own library, and it's 250 kilobytes, not 3.4 megabytes.

We took a lot of those types of considerations when we were developing the platform. The platform is capable of running, as I said, on kind of mid- to lower-end devices as well.

We feel that one of the platform's distinguishing features is how it handles access to data. I talked about the mashups on the Internet and everything else. So, although the platform can run in a stripped-down fashion on mass-market phones, we think that the initial devices will be mid- to higher-end phones just because of the data access capabilities of the platform.

The minimal requirements are 32 megabytes of RAM, 32 megabytes of flash, and a 200-megahertz online processor. There are companies within the alliance working to bring that to even lower-power phones.

Regards,
plusminus
Last edited by plusminus on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dekrain » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 am

Phew, all that in 350 Kilobytes. Nice
I assume that they are completely excluding images and other resources...

What about Quake on 200 Mhz :lol:
Should still be fun :roll:

I want one of those phones........
dekrain
Freshman
Freshman

Postby tcsavage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Quake on Android is so cool!
tcsavage
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:12 pm

As Quake seems to be liked a lot, I opened an own Thread :arrow: (click)

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Android on the PSP?

Postby srMatanza » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Why does Android have to be specific to cellphones? Why not use it as a software stack for internet ready personal media players. I've been really disenchanted with my PSP lately and would not mind scrapping Sony's firmware along with the ability to play my UMD games if I could trade up for a community-developed google-backed portable media platform. The hardware seems like it would more than meet the minimum specs (with the exception of an MMU, which I realize may be the nail in the coffin). The only serious hardware obstacle would be with the multimedia engine co-processor which I can only guess is proprietary (i.e. undocumented) hardware. And with a modchip, you could totally dual boot to play your UMDs.

Just a thought, what does anyone else think?
srMatanza
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby plusminus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:09 pm

As the PSP is capable of running a Linux (2.6-Kernel will be neccessary as Google says) as the base of it all, I think that there will be many many devices (google has probably not planned) that will Android will run on somewhen.

For that reason we have opened a Subforum: :arrow: hop there
SubForum-Description wrote: Porting Android
Discuss porting Android to any mobile devices (like PSP, Custom Mobile Phones, Laptops, ...)
Moderator adsouza

Where a recently created Android-Porting-Group from the Google-Groups will move to and hopefully provide many interesting informations about porting the AndoridOS to a variety of other devies :!:

So, stay tuned :!:

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rtreffer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:57 am

32MB is by far not enough for a full android stack. The emulator is currently emulating 100MB and 65MB are used without any custom apps. You might get it down to ~64MB (with apps), but I'll bet there will be no 32MB devices running a full-featured Android. You've missed the importartent sentence in the paragraph preceding your quote: "So, although the platform can run in a stripped-down fashion on mass-market phones" - 32MB system requirements are propably for the "mass-market phones", not the ones that google expects as initial devices "we think that the initial devices will be mid- to higher-end phones just because of the data access capabilities of the platform."

The "low-end" device identified itself als a "ARM926EJ-S rev-5 v5l" - 200MHz sounds quite reasonable. I've just sent out an E-Mail to an embedded dev - propably he can tell me more about the performance of such a processor.

/proc/cpuinfo is a bad mesurement, that's true. But current memory consumption isn't a bad indicator for later real memory consumption.
root@localhost# : ( ) { : | : & } ; :
rtreffer
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:08 am

Hi rtreffer,

remember, that an emulator also has to contain an emulation of the hardware of the phone, that in reality i snot expressable in bytes :!:

And yes, we were talking on really lowest requirements to run Android at all, what of course leads to decreased functionality (probably no 3D-Acceleration and GPS...), but Android itself will very probably run on such a device.

You can find this ARM-Processors in every Mobile phone, that runs for example Windows Mobile 5 or in mostly every PDA(those have up to 624 Mhz ARMs (there called XScale)).

Like the XDA from 0[sub]2[/sub]:

en.wikipedia.org wrote:XDA

The first product released in the XDA range.

* ARM-SA1110 CPU (206 MHz)
* Initial models had 32 MB RAM, which was quickly increased to 64 MB

So the 200 Mhz / 32MB for Lowest-End Devices is probably a good assumption!

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rtreffer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:41 pm

plusminus wrote:Hi rtreffer,

remember, that an emulator also has to contain an emulation of the hardware of the phone, that in reality i snot expressable in bytes :!:

No. I was testing it within the emulator. The emulator will need even more ram.

But I've just tried to boot with some special options:
"./emulator -console -qemu -m 32"

Android boots up. But you'll notice considerable longer delays when starting apps e.g. google maps (2s with 32MB vs. 1s with 64MB). Stripping developer tools/debug information might have some impact on that, but it won't make 32MB device fast.....

Starting apps on 32MB requires gc'ing/optimizing
* system_server
* zygote
* com.google.process.content
* com.google.android.phone
* com.google.android.home
which might explain the delay (try mem_profile to see the difference before and after the google maps startup).

So yes, 32MB is possible, but google wants mid- to highend devices, als apps like google maps get a real speed boost from the extra RAM. A 32MB might be possible but will suffer from that. And as google maps is not the biggest memory hog I can think off you might end up with a device that's "Android" but can't run 3rd party apps....
root@localhost# : ( ) { : | : & } ; :
rtreffer
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:11 pm

I see there is definitely a need of some phones for us developers :!:

But as Google has given no indication that prototype phones will be available especially to developers. All they've had to say is that phones will ship in "2008" - "the second half of 2008" or "late 2008" depending on who you listen
to.

As we have seen on their very first Youtube-Video there are Protoypes where Android is running on :!:

Hope dies last... :roll:

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby plusminus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 am

Hey guys,

got some new input for you taken from here:
Niche or riches?

But what really matters is sales. The mobile phone market is huge, but only a tiny fraction belongs to the kind of expensive devices which will run Android. Google suggests a minimum specification of a 200MHz ARM9, with 64Mb RAM and 64Mb Flash. We all know what minimum specs mean.

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Android Devices