Your opinion...

General Android Books.
Also feel free to comment, improve and contribute to AndBook, the free Android Learners book.

Postby plusminus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 pm

Hello shraddha294,

I wish I had time to do continue writing andbook :(
Writing a book consumes a hell of time.

Thats, why its now a "open-book".

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby haden » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi plusminus, Firstly i want to congratulate you on the wonderful job you've done here. Great forum , Great Tutorials and great handbook (oops andbook). Ive been wanting to develop for android ever since the SDK r1 got released but have been busy. Anyway I jumped into development a week back and i must say, your site is really useful.Everything i needed in google search showed up here. Anyway thanks again.

Regarding andbook.. why don't you have it online? you could use some CMS and have tutorials etc. posted online. You could also get valuable contributors to the book that way.

Best of luck for your endeavor. Let me know if you need help in anyway possible. :)
haden
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby jcook2004 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:14 pm

plusminus,

Thank you for all your help! This forum and your book contain alot of valuable information!
jcook2004
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ppcinfo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:13 pm

plusminus,

I also want to thank you very much for creating this forum site for the general community. I understand that it takes a lot of time and effort in doing so, and your hard work is much appreciated.

I'm a long time MS Windows programmer who has been creating apps for the Windows Mobile devices for the last 7 years, and I'm ready to jump into Android app development. I did all my programming using straight C, so it's an uphill battle for me to learn Java and OOP. I've read through 2 Java books and feel comfortable with the programming language, so now it's learning the intricacies of Android OS programming.

I've also read through two different Android dev books, and finding your web site is a real plus. I love your tutorials, as they are very helpful for newbie developers such as myself.

Thanks again, and please keep up the great work!
ppcinfo
ppcinfo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby meojunior » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks plusminus :D
Great book, very usefull
meojunior
meojunior
Freshman
Freshman

Thanks Plusminus

Postby agnimitra » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:01 am

:) Hello Plusminus,
Firstly thanks for this wonderful tutorial..You have done very good work to make the learner understand the platform better then they can learn from anywhere else..I'm very new on android..The book help me a lot and answers many of my questions...

Just keep adding new facts and also add the whole tutorial released on :arrow: http://www.anddev.org .....

Thank you once again

Best Regards,
AGNIMITRA :) :) :P :roll: :P :P :roll: :) :)
agnimitra
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Andbook! How does one contribute?

Postby secoif » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:00 am

plusminus wrote:Hello shraddha294,

I wish I had time to do continue writing andbook :(
Writing a book consumes a hell of time.

Thats, why its now a "open-book".

Regards,
plusminus

So how does one contribute to your open-book? A wiki would be good, something like:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

on wikibooks, or a link to the source files on github or something.

If there is a way, it should be written on your http://andbook.anddev.org/ page.

Additionally, there is much talk of
"you can do X in Y lines of code..."
eg:
"This is true, as a developer you can do everything, from sending short messages with just 2 lines of code, ..."

"One can integrate a fully zoom and drag enabled map by adding just 3(!) characters in the Java-Code of the Android-Default-Application and 3 lines of XML-Code."

It'd be good if these referenced actual examples.

Also links to the source of your google maps directions app would be good. How are we to know it works well? How are we to know it's not just a mockup?

Proof > Speculation!
secoif
Freshman
Freshman

Postby iloveDroid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Great eBook im amazed by how much passion you have for helping other coders. Your a great guy!
iloveDroid
Freshman
Freshman

Online book form developing Android Application

Postby akyadav » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:41 am

Hi to all of u
i am new in android application so i want know about class and pkg in android so
is there any book or online document which help me more.

Thanks
Atul Kumar Yadav
Software Consultant
Email: neo.atul@gmail.com
Ph: +91-965-003-3676
Chat Google Talk: neo.atul
Y! messenger: atul_kumar198401
akyadav
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby kerrhome » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:20 am

gymshoe wrote:I now have it figured out. The issue I had with StartingSubactivities was just me being a "novice"...

However there are other discrepancies like the startSubActivity one I mentioned, that I couldn't get to work.
For instance (pg 56) you refer to "setResult(1, keyword)".
The setResult() method for Activity does not have any constructors accepting (int, string) arguments. Also on pg56, you refer to "onActivityResult(int,int,string,bundle)" but this method only has constructors accepting (int,int,Intent) arguments. Your code for "URI.parse..." on pg57 also didn't work as written.

Perhaps these are issues with the M5 to 0.9 conversion? (but I know even less about M5 than 0.9...).

Anyway, I think the following code addresses the issues described and works in SDK0.9:

Thanks for your updated and working code. I encountered the same issues as you did following the tutorial. Hopefully your suggested code changes can be applied to the tutorial so it will work.

Question: When running your code on my Droid (2.0.1) I'm seeing a force close when going from MySecondActivity to MainActivity via the back button. I will try this on the simulator too and share my result. Anyone else see a force close with this? I'm curious to understand why.

gymshoe, is the following line needed in MySecondActivity.java?

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1. public Intent intent;
Parsed in 0.031 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Thanks for anyone that can help on the force close issue.
kerrhome
Freshman
Freshman

Postby kerrhome » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 am

I was able to reproduce the force close in a 2.0.1 emulator, so something is not right here. Any help would be much appreciated.
kerrhome
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Your opinion...

Postby edenbulur23 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:12 am

Great plusminus..Thanks
edenbulur23
Freshman
Freshman

Postby agnimitra » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 am

great job man..I am now looking forward 4 it... and anddev is helping me..
agnimitra
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby agnimitra » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:03 am

Dear admin,
I found one spelling mistake on 25th page in <manifest> tag...please take care of that in the next version of release.. androidmanifest has been mis spelled to androismanifest.....ScreenShots is attached
SS.JPG
Screen Shots
SS.JPG (33.87 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
agnimitra
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby xavier » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am

Hello plusminus,

Downloaded and tried to read the andbook, but the PDF file is corrupted. Could you pls upload an uncorrupted file?

thanx,

xavier
xavier
Once Poster
Once Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Android Books