What is the best Android Dev book for a beginner?

General Android Books.
Also feel free to comment, improve and contribute to AndBook, the free Android Learners book.

What is the best Android Dev book for a beginner?

Postby Subjective Effect » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 pm

This is a copy of the post I've put up at Xda.

My background: I dabble in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and mySQL. I've had a go at ASP/VB before too and I've created some pretty large PHP and mySQL applications in the past. But I'm no expert, I've just used what I've needed.

I'm looking to get into making some simple apps for Android and as a result I've bought these books:

Sam's Teach Yourself Java in 24hrs - I've almost read all of it and it all makes sense to me. It was quite easy since much of the syntax is the same as JavaScript's. The only thing I've had to get my head around is classes and object hierarchies, but it wasn't too bad. I stopped at the GUI programming bit since I'll be using XML for Android anyway.

Sam's Teach Yourself Android App Developement in 24hrs.
Hello, Android.

Both of these just don't hold your hand enough. For example, in the Sam's Android book in hour 7 you get told to retrieve an instance of a TextView control in the onCreate() method of the QuizSplashActivity but it doesn't tell you how you do this. The downloadable code came as a shock with a whole new class in the QuizSplashActivity.java, not the way I'd have approached it at all.

So what I'm saying, I guess, is that both these books aren't simple enough for me.

Has anyone got any recommendations for books? I don't like learning from the web, I've read a lot at the google resources and I need a book to take me on a linear journey of what I need.
Subjective Effect
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: What is the best Android Dev book for a beginner?

Postby Openxcell » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:33 am

Subjective Effect wrote:This is a copy of the post I've put up at Xda.

My background: I dabble in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and mySQL. I've had a go at ASP/VB before too and I've created some pretty large PHP and mySQL applications in the past. But I'm no expert, I've just used what I've needed.

I'm looking to get into making some simple apps for Android and as a result I've bought these books:

Sam's Teach Yourself Java in 24hrs - I've almost read all of it and it all makes sense to me. It was quite easy since much of the syntax is the same as JavaScript's. The only thing I've had to get my head around is classes and object hierarchies, but it wasn't too bad. I stopped at the GUI programming bit since I'll be using XML for Android anyway.

Hello, Android.

Both of these just don't hold your hand enough. For example, in the Sam's Android book in hour 7 you get told to retrieve an instance of a TextView control in the onCreate() method of the QuizSplashActivity but it doesn't tell you how you do this. The downloadable code came as a shock with a whole new class in the QuizSplashActivity.java, not the way I'd have approached it at all.

So what I'm saying, I guess, is that both these books aren't simple enough for me.

Has anyone got any recommendations for books? I don't like learning from the web, I've read a lot at the google resources and I need a book to take me on a linear journey of what I need.

Good books to learn Android Application Development is
1. Beginning Android
2. Hello Android
3. Unlocking Andriod
4. Professional Andriod Application Development
5. Andriod Programming Tutorials
Openxcell
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby allie0 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:21 am

I would say start with a basic Java book
"Introduction to Programming Using Java -- An Object-Oriented Approach by Arnow & Weiss (Addison-Wesley)"

Then you can continue learning Android development with "Beginning Android 2"
allie0
Freshman
Freshman

Postby imbroken » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:49 am

After reading several Android books my favorite is Android in Action 2nd Edition. It's the best book for beginners.
imbroken
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ertan2002 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:12 pm

I can advice some videos about android programming.. But i think,its not enough.. :)

http://www.xtensivearts.com/topics/tutorials/
ertan2002
Freshman
Freshman

Postby krishjlk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:40 pm

thank u ertan2002 .. it is realy great
/*
A good programmer is the one who always looks both ways b4 crossing a one-way street
*/
krishjlk
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Contract Jobs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 pm

I used Beginning Android 2, Hello Android, Android Application Development, Professional Android 2. These are some good books to start with.
Contract Jobs
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Draper Jobs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:18 am

Openxcell wrote:
Subjective Effect wrote:This is a copy of the post I've put up at Xda.

Hello, Android.

Good books to learn Android Application Development is
1. Beginning Android
2. Hello Android
3. Unlocking Andriod
4. Professional Andriod Application Development
5. Andriod Programming Tutorials

Thanks for sharing books for Android. Android Programming Tutorials is new for me, Will read soon. Thanks once again.
Draper Jobs
Freshman
Freshman

Postby texas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:14 pm

I think book "Professional Android 2" (Wrox) is best for you
A lot of examples and code for you :)

Read book Professional android 2 preview
texas
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby dewsworld » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for sharing the names...
dewsworld
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby clivesgt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi you could look at - Android User Interface made easy - available at amazon. it covers the user interface using 34 tutorials with line by line commentary. you can also download all the project files for free.

it's a great (and easy) way to learn about displaying stuff on the screen and how to manage the users input.

hope it helps

regards

clive
clivesgt
Freshman
Freshman

Postby denevell » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:32 pm

The user interface books looks interesting.

I hate UI in general, but love programming. I'd like to improve my skills there, certainly.

I read the Dummies guide to Android Dev (Dec, 2010). It put me in a good position to go forward.

Much of the book, however, is just a more verbose version of the Notepad tutorial, I later found.

Still, it's an easier introduction to Android than that Notepad tutorial. So money not really wasted.
denevell
Freshman
Freshman

Postby nichetech » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 am

I suggest to go for Java first and then move to professional Android 2.
nichetech
Freshman
Freshman

Postby DavidPo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:55 pm

I have read Beginning Android - very interesting book. But it's not for beginneres, it's more for people who already work with Android apps.

But Hello Android - is exactly what you need. Very simple and interesting.

You welcome. :)
Best iphone development company.
DavidPo
Freshman
Freshman

Postby oeN » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:16 pm

I've started with the book Pro android 2
Site: Link
Android apps: Link
oeN
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to Android Books