Scrambled graphics on screen rotation

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

Scrambled graphics on screen rotation

Postby neclepsio » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi everyone.
I have an activity with android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden" and just a big GLSurfaceView.
It works on my Milestone, the emulator and many other devices, but on HTC Magic with CyanogenMod 5.0.6 one user reported the situation in the screenshot: it seems to me the buffer format is scrambled.
Disabling android:configChanges fixes the problem. I do almost nothing in onConfigurationChanged.
Can anybody please help me?

Thank you,
Ignazio
Attachments
Landscape1.png
Landscape1.png (35.46 KiB) Viewed 512 times
neclepsio
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Scrambled graphics on screen rotation

Postby oceand » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:44 am

Unfortunately I don't know why you see the scrambled screen, but I can tell you that I've seen it happen myself. At first I suspected it was actually a bug in the hardware GL drivers for Cyanogen's rom, but I've also seen it happen in the emulator.

I don't know if it was a specific config spec or perhaps a race condition during the orientation switch. From what I've seen of how the android system interacts with the GL hardware it's probably a safe bet that it's a race condition. Android's GL implementation is very poor.

Oce
oceand
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials