opengles hardware acceleration

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

opengles hardware acceleration

Postby lemondev » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:15 am

neocore is a opengles demonstration run on hardware acceleration phone,
but when running on the emulator , it slows down and can not load textures.
my question is how can the neocore call opengles apis that can only run on phone that have 3d accelerated hw.

and i have done a test on that stuff, i have cut off the 3d hardware driver from the android,and burn the new built OS on a phone ,the result is , no texture loaded like on emulator and even more slowly. but other application like api demo's cube runs well.

i have lauched a research on android opengles, but have no idea on how to use the hardware acceleration
in my application. i make a texture cube with 2 pictures of 320*480 on two sides of cube and rotate between the
two sides , the rate is max 14-16fps, it doesn't sound like i have used the 3d acceleration.

anyone help? thanks a lot...
lemondev
Freshman
Freshman

Postby _Auron_ » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:31 pm

Well on top of Neocore using native code, you may be doing something wrong. I'd have to see some source code to determine what's going on. Also, the emulator uses software rendering, and is emulating the 528Mhz CPU, so unless you have a beastly 4-5GHz cpu, you're probably not emulating anywhere near full speed (and as a result, OpenGL rendering in the emulator is incredibly slow compared to the actual device).

Also, unless you're using VBOs (Vertex Buffer Objects, which is in OpenGL ES 1.1 - not supported by all devices), the vertex and texture coordinates have to be sent over the system bus every draw, so that creates an overhead past a couple hundred polys. Although I do not currently use VBOs, my 2D game engine (which rendered texture quads), I get about 60FPS until I hit about 40-50 objects, then the framerate starts to taper down. My game Stroids is coded entirely in this engine and does not using any Android API except for input.

Show some code so we can see what you're trying to do.
_Auron_
Freshman
Freshman

Postby tikimove » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:56 am

:!: this is a flag for myself :D
tikimove
Developer
Developer

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials