OpenGL-ES 2.0

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

OpenGL-ES 2.0

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi.

Is there any plan to support OpenGL-ES 2.0 in Android?
Is it possible to write a renderer youself based on OpenGL-ES 2.0?
In that case, where to start :)

Expect studpid questions, but dont expect stupid answers.
Simon
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 pm

No, it won't otherwise it would render all opengl ES1.1 unusable. Maybe Version 2 will support opengl es 2, but version 1 will always have OpenGL ES 1 support.

And you can't write a renderer based on OpenGL ES 2, as it isn't a renderer itself. Why would you need 2? You are on a mobile device, so dealing with less features, can't be that bad, can it?
MrSnowflake

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:No, it won't otherwise it would render all opengl ES1.1 unusable. Maybe Version 2 will support opengl es 2, but version 1 will always have OpenGL ES 1 support.

And you can't write a renderer based on OpenGL ES 2, as it isn't a renderer itself. Why would you need 2? You are on a mobile device, so dealing with less features, can't be that bad, can it?

Thank you for posting.

I`m a 3D programmer, thats why I want programmable shaders :)
But then I know. I guess I have to get used to the fixed pipeline. Or wait for version 2!
Simon
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Shaders on a mobile device, won't that kill your battery?
MrSnowflake

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:11 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:Shaders on a mobile device, won't that kill your battery?

Well, I guess it depends on your hardware. The batteries aswell as the other components are gettings better and better so I think it will be possible soon.
Simon
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Sure it will and is (not on G1 :)) possible. I'm just wondering how good this works on a small screen... But that's a very different topic :).
MrSnowflake

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:07 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:Sure it will and is (not on G1 :)) possible. I'm just wondering how good this works on a small screen... But that's a very different topic :).

Yea :)
And since there are several prototypes on projectors integrated on mobile phones, programmable shader will probl. (hopefully) be standard.
Simon
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Simon wrote:
MrSnowflake wrote:Sure it will and is (not on G1 :)) possible. I'm just wondering how good this works on a small screen... But that's a very different topic :).

Yea :)
And since there are several prototypes on projectors integrated on mobile phones, programmable shader will probl. (hopefully) be standard.
Oh right, with bigger screens (like projects) shaders will of course be awsome :).
But we are getting a lot of topic, so we might better stop, before the mod kicks us out of here :D.
MrSnowflake

Postby Ultrano » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Pandora has full support for ES2 afaik.
As much as I'm addicted to NV_*_program4 , I'd prefer our interface to the gpu is improved. Like, making JNI public. And letting us get the iPhone performance ingame.
Ultrano
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I've read somewhere on the Android groups that they are interested in implementing OpenGL ES 2.0, but there would be no software renderer integrated in Android. So in some future release, you might use OpenGL ES 2.0 after all.

As I now think about it supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 won't break 1.1 apps... :)
MrSnowflake

Postby Ultrano » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:18 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:As I now think about it supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 won't break 1.1 apps... :)

Well, it only takes a whole nVidia corporation to make a stable driver that translates fixed-func into shaders... and it takes them years while perfectly knowing their hardware. Get a bit smaller gpu-oriented corporation to do the same, and you get ATi and their horrible OpenGL support. Then get a huge corporation, that isn't dedicated to gpus, and you get Intel and their abomination of drivers.

On a similar note, are the upcoming Android phones with 3D acceleration? I think only the G1 will have it for now.
Ultrano
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Ultrano wrote:On a similar note, are the upcoming Android phones with 3D acceleration? I think only the G1 will have it for now.
Cheap ones won't and more expensive devices probably will.

But Although the G1 is available since Octobre, we have not yet seen any other real Android device release, while Samsung stated they are going to release a Symbian touch based device in the next quarter, while still no concrete Android anouncements are made. Maybe we are in the losing camp after all... Who knows.
MrSnowflake

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials