Odd and random framerate cap caused by program init

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

Odd and random framerate cap caused by program init

Postby _Auron_ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:27 am

Not sure if this is a bug in GLSurfaceView or if there's some odd delay I need to do or some extra flag to throw, but there seems to be a 50% chance that when my program is run (when the exception of being run directly after a compile, which guarantees the lag) that there will be a 48FPS cap. Or at least something hogging cpu that drops my framerate to 48FPS. Using 1.5's GLSurfaceView and running a framerate indicator through Log.d every 10 seconds (adding the framerate into an avgFPS variable every second and / 10) in onDrawFrame and doing NOTHING else results in either 48FPS or 60FPS, randomly. Letting the program run for a period of time does not change this, only exiting and re-running.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one having this issue, or if I'm simply someone who noticed it because I need the maximum performance possible, but the 12FPS gap makes an enormous difference because of the overhead caused.

I've gone so far to look into the process going on when my program is run and exited through several tests. The results are as follows:

Capped init: http://pastebin.org/856

Uncapped desired init: http://pastebin.org/857

The highlighted lines are the ones that seem to have a pattern with the issue I have. From multiple tests the pattern I've noticed is that when the framerate goes at fullspeed and isn't capped/hogged, the gpu surface is attained just before the display is started. And the time taken for display to init (or the init process as a whole, not sure what that time actually means) is always < 1000ms.

Whereas when it caps to 48FPS, it takes more than 1000ms and the process order for init seems random.
I'm not sure how it'd be possible for me to fix this unless I took the original GLSurfaceView and figured out how to handle it myself, but that's assuming that GLSurfaceView is even the problem in the first place. I'm not sure what's causing this, and I'm posting here to see if anyone has a clue.
_Auron_
Freshman
Freshman

Postby _Auron_ » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:19 am

Does no one not know anything about this?
_Auron_
Freshman
Freshman

Same problem

Postby Beowolve » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi,

I just found this thread while searching for a solution for this.
So far I do not know what exactly is the reason for this. I discovered that a change of the orientation will fix the framerates.

Did you fix that issue meanwhile?
Beowolve
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Frink » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:35 pm

This is caused by a change in orientation by the actual device. You can get around this by forcing the orientation yourself, and it will get back up to 60fps.

Code: Select all
setRequestedOrientation(ActivityInfo.SCREEN_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE );

I'm sure there's a way to use the accelerometer yourself to give the impression of the user being able to change orientation themself, but actually using setRequestedOrientation - but I have never needed that :)

This has already been reported as a bug, hopefully they'll fix it!
Frink
Developer
Developer

Postby _Auron_ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:01 am

Yeah, I reported the bug and forgot I posted about it here. The cause is from setting the orientation in the android manifest; it does software rotation even if it should be able to handle hardware rotation. Taking that out and setting it using the command Frink mentioned will change the orientation and make it rotate via hardware. The software rotation is slow, and therefore causes a huge framerate hit (and heavy use of the CPU when unnecessary).
_Auron_
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials