Game API support in Android

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

Game API support in Android

Postby daisy_deepa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:15 am

Hi,
I'm newbie in Android. I have some Queries ,
1. Whether android have support for Game API's (like Sprite, Layer, LayerManager, GameCanvas in J2ME)
2. the .apk file is enough for installation on real device? is there any provisions to add application description, size of .apk like that?

Thanx in advance!!!

Regards,
Daisy
daisy_deepa
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ninor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:56 am

Hello and Welcome!

First, as far as I know, you can include *ALMOST* any java libraries into Android. So you'll have to try each lib.
Besides, if these gaming libraries generate OpenGL ES graphics, you'll have no problems.
I suspect that some game libraries are supported, because Popcap and some other developers have done a number of games. (check android.com)

Second, the APK would be enough to supply an app. And if I understand you correctly, there's the obligation to sign the APK before installing it on a real device, so I think it would be completely identified to allow giving permissions and so to a new application (I still haven't signed one, because to use on the emulator it doesn't need that)
(If anyone could add more to this info)

Hope this helps.
ninor

Postby daisy_deepa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 am

Hi ninor,
Thank you for the info..
regarding the signing of our applications, the System will not install / run an application that is not signed properly. This will be applicable for both the real device and emulator.
I think , while testing the application in emulator, the Eclipse IDE itself signing the application by default in debug mode.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Daisy. R
daisy_deepa
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby lusid » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 am

I'd like to know what libraries others have had success with as well for gaming... I know I gave up on Phys2D after a long night of playing because I just couldn't seem to get it to run fast enough.
lusid
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jasont » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:23 am

Sprite and LayerManager are very slow in J2ME, for Android you are better off writing your own implementation.
jasont
Developer
Developer

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials