Displaying 2D image using OPENGL in Android SDK

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

Displaying 2D image using OPENGL in Android SDK

Postby adepu.gamer » Fri May 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi,

I am trying to display 2D image using OPENGL in Android SDK. I am very beginner to it. I tried checking with Rokon framework but couldn't get exact direct info related to image drawing. Could any body help me how to render a 2D image using OPENGL in Android SDK? TY in advance. :)
adepu.gamer
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Displaying 2D image using OPENGL in Android SDK

Postby vengeance_mj » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 pm

how about using textures?
vengeance_mj
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby luugiathuy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:05 am

Hi,

You can have look at this project http://bit.ly/d23iDL (it's from GoogleIO 2009)
luugiathuy
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby RedToasty » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Just getting to drawing a texture is surprisingly long winded :) I'd copy the glSurfaceview and glRenderer from one of the Google apps:

http://code.google.com/p/apps-for-android/

Take a small existing app and strip down is the easiest way. Fortunately once you've got all the lengthy bit out the way the code is much more direct, OpenGL has a lot of setting things up and telling it how you want it to work, which is unavoidable.

Edit: Oh and Google the "Nehe opengl" guides too, they're a good introduction. Don't be put off by the lengthy initial bit though, it gets much easier and you're not expected to ever remember everything first go, you normally end up adapting slightly every project, then copy+pasting to the next.
RedToasty
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials