Difference between android.opengl & khronos.opengl

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

Difference between android.opengl & khronos.opengl

Postby keerthi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi everyone ;)
im working on sm graphics application, have done may things already,have understood glsurface view, renederer interface and all (i hope so :P ) .. but nw suddenly i got a doubt .. :?:

I can see two packages related to open gl in android
1.)android.opengl
2.)javax.microedition.khronos.opengles

basically what is the difference between these two packages :? , and which one we will be using , i guess im not aware of some basic funda ...
Or isit the android opengl using the khronos interfaces ??
can anyone explain the basic concepts which i am not aware ..

for quick comparision :
in javax.microedition.khronos.opengles
Interfaces
GL
GL10
GL10Ext
GL11
GL11Ext
GL11ExtensionPack
all these are interfaces

In android.opengl
GLES10
GLES10Ext
GLES11
GLES11Ext
GLES20
all these are classes .....
keerthi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Difference between android.opengl & khronos.opengl

Postby Bhupathi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 pm

I haven't yet looked into graphics stuff. But I guess the difference is khronos opengl is the "standard" and used on desktops and they own opengl, android is implemented some of the khronos interfaces and cameup with itz own library.

--Bhupathi
Bhupathi
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Difference between android.opengl & khronos.opengl

Postby ryanm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:30 pm

In terms of capability there's no difference, all the opengles functions are available in either.
I suspect the javax.microedition... package is there to offer compatibility withJ2ME code. It might even be implemented internally in terms of the android.opengl API

The two packages offer slightly different API styles: the khronos stuff makes you pass around a GL object, android.opengl does not.
I prefer the android.opengl style, so it's annoying to find that android.opengl.GLU expects you to be using the khronos GL** interfaces. Look here for a replacement GLU class that does not.
ryanm
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials