Android OpenGL ES & Quake Tutorials / TDC Launched

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

Android OpenGL ES & Quake Tutorials / TDC Launched

Postby MichaelTACTEL » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Greets...

I just finished up the TDC - Tactel US Developer Corner web site and it's online here; now officially launced:
http://www.android-tactelus.com/

There are 45 tutorials planned split into 4 sections including Android essentials, math & algorithms, Android OpenGL ES, Android Quake / Auriga3D

Tutorial content is forthcoming and once I finish a few more announcements today about the site I'll be working on them full time and plan to release them consistently over the next 3 months. The general idea is to be able to guide someone who is already generally familiar with Java programming through the necessary Android essentials then through some math and OpenGL ES 1.X API topics leading up to implementation of a 3D FPS engine that loads Quake assets. I'm considering releasing Auriga3D w/ Quake 3 asset loading support instead of Q1 too. All source code available by the MIT license. We actually want as many people as possible to run with the code and create really awesome apps for Android.

Beyond that, I put a bit of time into developing the site and added some neat community oriented features w/ more forthcoming. You can log in using several different 3rd party services like your Google account, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and a bunch more automatically creating a profile from the account you chose. It would be great to get some eyes on the site. Check it out if you guys can and add it to your RSS reader or follow on Twitter to hear about when new tutorial content becomes available.

Thanks for checking it out!! :)
Michael Leahy
Software Architect, Tactel San Francisco

Tactel US, Inc
600 Townsend St, Suite 340e
San Francisco, CA 94103
USA
Tactel is a leading developer of mobile applications, providing solutions and consulting services to many of the worlds major network operators and mobile handset vendors. We help these customers stay ahead of the game by designing genuinely original applications, and making sure they work on all networks and with all handsets.
MichaelTACTEL
Freshman
Freshman

Postby AGr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Cool, I look forward to the tutorials!
AGr
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MichaelTACTEL » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 am

Right on.. I'm real excited to see how the tutorials and resulting code will be used by the larger community and what apps may come out of it all. For those interested in a video right now of the Quake 3 class renderer here is a video I recorded right after I finished the initial port of Auriga3D to Android.

Hasty Auriga3D video taken 10 minutes after initially working on Android!

It was a hastily recorded video for a tech conference (CodeCon '09) I was speaking at that weekend and before I came on full time with Tactel. I'm excited Tactel sees a benefit in engaging the Android community and supporting this tutorial series. So there is much to come!
Michael Leahy

Tactel US, Inc
San Francisco, CA 94103
USA
Tactel is a leading developer of mobile applications, providing solutions and consulting services to many of the worlds major network operators and mobile handset vendors. We help these customers stay ahead of the game by designing genuinely original applications, and making sure they work on all networks and with all handsets.
MichaelTACTEL
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Andrex » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 am

Very impressive. I hope you'll get those tutorials up there as soon as possible. :)
Andrex
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Ricky86 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:26 pm

wow, It will be very useful tutorial. I'm newbie in programming games for Android and lack of material.
Looking forward to reading your tutorial. Thanks!
Ricky86
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby fixedd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Are the tutorials going to be up any time soon? I'm really looking forward to the beginner OpenGL ones.
fixedd
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby MichaelTACTEL » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 am

fixedd wrote:Are the tutorials going to be up any time soon? I'm really looking forward to the beginner OpenGL ones.

I'm going to get started on this imminently. The latest delay as things go I happened to break my left index finger at the 1st joint the one time I left the office to play a little basketball a week 1/2 ago. I had to have a little outpatient surgery and now have 2 pins in it. doh. I just got off pain meds yesterday and plan to give things a go Monday/Tuesday 8/10 or 8/11 regarding publishing new articles. We also got all the video art assets finished and just licensed a couple tracks from an up and coming producer (Intoner / http://www.myspace.com/intoner) for some nice dark dubstep audio tracks (Cenotype remix from the Myspace page and other goodies), so I'm interested to see how this will all turn out. I think it will roughly take 3 months focused time minimum to complete everything including all the overhead of managing all the source code, video creation, and tutorial content. I'm going to skip around a little bit after the initial essentials section and then 1-2 math section overviews and get into the beginner OpenGL parts for the first half at least of that section as soon as possible so folks can get going with the basics. If at all possible I'll see about doing a general source code release of the Quake3 class engine, Auriga3D, before the tutorial content goes live, but as things go I'm the main individual doing it all, so I'll queue up what I can to get folks moving forward. The biggest thing I'm excited about is showing that even the G1 is capable of some amazing OpenGL graphics / game play. I have some fine tuning to do to Auriga3D, but I'd really like to get the engine to 30-60 FPS on G1 for Q3 level rendering before public release. Right now it's 15-45 FPS without complex curved surfaces.

All this is going to happen, but may take a little time to unfold. Nonetheless we're quite excited to see how this content will be used by the larger Android community.
Michael Leahy

Tactel US, Inc
San Francisco, CA 94103
USA
MichaelTACTEL
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials