3D dog... basis

Tutorials concerning the OpenGL® ES cross-platform API for full-function 2D and 3D graphics on the Google-Android platform.

3D dog... basis

Postby Sly17 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi,
I dev with a friend who use Maya or 3D studio...
I don't understand what is the way to do 3D application... I want to do a 3D dog which react with the user interaction. Move his head, open his eyes,... Then it's not a movie, but a 3D model with events. How can we do this. Can we make the 3D dog with maya or 3D studio, then animate it with openGL, or ??... If someone can explain me the basis of this for my 3D dog aim !
Thanks !
(if someone as such of project to help me !)
Sly17
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:21 pm

No offence, but if you don't know any OpenGl (ES), making a life like dog is really hard and next to impossible. Nintendogs wasn't made by 2 people but tens!
But yes you can animate a 3D dog model made in Maya, or any other 3D modeling software, with opengl.
MrSnowflake

Postby Sly17 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes for nintendog, but fact is I wan only do 1 dog which move his head !
Sly17
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Ultrano » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:12 am

start with the simplest thing: loading the static 3D model and visualizing it. Plus camera. Use obj format to export from Maya, make a converter in C++ to make that into binary.

After that, it's bones and skin-mesh animation - it's even harder.
See you next month :P
Ultrano
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby coding_android » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:41 am

I probably got the same question. I was used making 3D models in 3ds Max and exporting them in M3G format which could be loaded with the M3G classes. Is there really no solution (high level) to load such meshes with OpenGL ES?

Regards.
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 pm

There is no dedicated Android SceneGraph so you should program everything your self. though you could try porting jMonkeyEngine to the OpenGL SE android supports. I think that's the shortest way to be able to easilly make 3D apps/games.
MrSnowflake

Postby coding_android » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Ok thank you. So we have to wait for high level framworks appear on the Android platform. (I have to wait since I don't have that much low level skills :) and just wanted to play around which I did with the m3g framework)

Thank you very much.
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Re: 3D dog... basis

Postby palisade » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:50 pm

I wrote an OBJ mesh loader, which you can export from most 3d modelling apps. This is code is essentially a scene manager that allows you to add shapes to the world. The mesh loader doesn't support texturing yet, but I just got it working a few minutes ago! :-)

viewtopic.php?p=16551#16551

Hope it helps.
palisade
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Tutorials