UI for android

Problems with Canvas, OpenGL, etc...

UI for android

Postby gfxengine » Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi,

I am kinda new to designing android Ui for apps of the same. Is there a standard resolution that i should follow for drawing UI ? or do i have to do art for multiple resolutions ? . . . If so wat are the resoulutions? I would be glad if anyone could help me. Thanks in advance :)

Cheers
gfx
gfxengine
Freshman
Freshman

Re: UI for android

Postby bxm » Tue May 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Honestly I've only done work in OpenGL where I scale my graphics at draw-time, however, there are definitely a wide range of resolutions and densities that you need to take into account when creating a UI for Android.

I'd recommend reading this as a good start:
http://developer.android.com/guide/prac ... pport.html

There's honestly a very large variety of screen sizes, so Android splits them into 4 categories as far as density goes, that link shows a charge of which screen sizes fall under which density (and therefore, which art would be chosen to be used). If your art scales well, you could just stretch or shrink it, depending on how nice you want things to look.
bxm
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby gfxengine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:55 am

Thx for the reply . . . yeh read through it i am still a little bit confused :( Think i have to draw the art stuff for a blackberry app, so any idea how i should break it down ? and can u also suggest which software will be better suited for this stuff ? i am currently using photoshop. I have designed some apps for the iphone bfore but this is the first time that im drawing app UI for the blackberry.
gfxengine
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bxm » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Not too familiar with the Blackberries but in general I'd say Photoshop is a decent route, I know a lot of artists like to use Illustrator so their art is more scalable, and since it's UI items it's probably fairly simple so that might be a good route to go.

Depending on the UI you're building you're going to have to break it down... you might need Button objects, Window objects, TextView type objects, Fonts. It's a lot of work to be sure. Make sure you aren't trying to reinvent the wheel.
bxm
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby gfxengine » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 pm

haha thx for the reply it was helpful :D . Will start working then . . . if i encounter anything will post again thx bxm!
gfxengine
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Android 2D/3D Graphics - OpenGL Problems