Using CameraPreview to save a picture on disk

Tutorials with advanced 'difficulty' and more Lines of Code.

Postby plusminus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am

Hello Katharnavas,

saving takes place here:
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1.                     FileOutputStream stream = super.openFileOutput("picture" + i++ + ".png", MODE_PRIVATE);
  3.                     camera.capture(canvas);
  5.                     myPic.compress(CompressFormat.PNG, 100, stream);
  7.                     stream.flush();
  9.                     stream.close();
Parsed in 0.032 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Simply alter the Parameter of super.openFileOutput(...);. If you want to write to the SD-Card, there is no need for using "openFileOutput", because you can use standard java methods, like new FileOutputStream(...)...

Regards,
plusminus
Last edited by plusminus on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katharnavas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi,
Its nice to have you after a pleasant new year ...
Katharnavas
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Lex » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. Very helpful !
Lex
Developer
Developer

Postby bavarol » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:10 pm

plusminus wrote:Hello Katharnavas,

saving takes place here:
  1.                     FileOutputStream stream = super.openFileOutput("picture" + i++ + ".png", MODE_PRIVATE);
  2.                     camera.capture(canvas);
  3.                     myPic.compress(CompressFormat.PNG, 100, stream);
  4.                     stream.flush();
  5.                     stream.close();
Parsed in 0.032 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Simply alter the Parameter of super.openFileOutput(...);. If you want to write to the SD-Card, there is no need for using "openFileOutput", because you can use standard java methods, like new FileOutputStream(...)...

Regards,
plusminus

Hi, I have written "-sdcard <path of sdcard.img>" on command line as ever, then I altered super.OpenFileOutput by new FileOutputStream(...) in all possible variants (new FileOutputStream(String), new FileOputputStream(File), etc) but I still get FileNotFoundException, why?

Regards
bavarol
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby bavarol » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:42 pm

I have solved my problem, it was cause of hidden directory without permission to write

That works fine
  1. FileOutputStream stream = new FileOutputStream("/sdcard/dsc" + i++ + ".png");
Parsed in 0.034 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Thx ;)
bavarol
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

How to retrieve the png file that I saved?

Postby drhu00 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:31 pm

I can save these png files as said in this post
picture0.png
picture1.png
etc.

but how can I get back these pictures?
drhu00
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello drhu,

have a look at this tutorial: http://www.anddev.org/viewtopic.php?t=115

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drhu00 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:11 pm

Thank you plusminus. The question is that when I use your filebrowser
http://www.anddev.org/android_filebrows ... -t101.html
under the data, I find it is empty so I can't find the
/data/data/org.picture/files/picture0.png
That's why I am wounder where is the file stored.

Does your filebrowser can retrive all the directory and files under data? Why it is empty? When I use the eclipse DDMS shows all the files and directory.
drhu00
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:35 pm

Hello drhu00,

the reason for that is the rights, the application is running with.
You need administrator-priviledges to browse that folder, which a normal application has not.

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:24 pm

A fine tutorial indeed.

I wonder about the quality hint in the Bitmap.compress(...)-function though. The javadoc says:

quality Hint to the compressor, 0-100. 0 meaning compress for small size, 100 meaning compress for max quality.

Now thats fine and logical for the JPEG-compressor, but for the PNG-compressor shouldn't it be 1-8 (BitsPerPixel for PNG-8) or 24 (for PNG-24)?

Issue 443 filed.
Steel
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello Steel,

I don't know. Maybe they are wrapping the values internally , depending on what file-type was selected.

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pere » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi,

I'm an absolute beginner with Android. I found this site and started practicing with the nice tutorials it provides. Then I found this one which has something to do with what I wanted to do with Android, so I think it would be a good start point to base my project on.

But I'm having problems getting it to work right from the beginning. I downloaded camera.zip, put into my Eclipse project folder and tried to run it. First of all I got a problem because the android.jar folder was configured in another path (probably for a Unix system). After fixing that, I get the following errors:

"the method setCallback(Preview) is undefined for the type SurfaceHolder" (file CameraPreview.java, line 136).

"the return type is incompatible with SurfaceHolder.Callback.surfaceCreated(SurfaceHolder)" (file CameraPreview.java, line 164).

About the 1st error, as Eclipse gives me the option to change the method to "addCallback", I supposed the method just could had changed its name in a newer version of the API or whatsoever; I am using last version of the API and maybe this tutorial could have been done using an older version.

For the 2nd one, I have no clue. I simply tried changing the return type to "void" to try to run it... and then, after I try to run the project from the "Run" dialog, I get a "Project is not an Android Project. Aborting!" error in Eclipse.

I would be very happy if someone could enlight me with some help to get this running...

Thanks a lot!
Pere
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Stephen.Ada » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:55 am

a nice tut.

I did save some pictures in the dir . but the picutre did't display what it is as i capture in android.

the first picture display like this:

but the successive captured picture can't display ,however....

have u guys ever encourtered this problem?

any help appreciate!
Attachments
picture0.png
picture0.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 11198 times
Stephen.Ada
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Pere » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi again,

Please, can anyone give me some hint in getting my problem solved? I haven't touched a line of the source code provided, but still I am not able to run it.
Pere
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bavarol » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Pere wrote:Hi again,

Please, can anyone give me some hint in getting my problem solved? I haven't touched a line of the source code provided, but still I am not able to run it.

Pere wrote:Hi,

I'm an absolute beginner with Android. I found this site and started practicing with the nice tutorials it provides. Then I found this one which has something to do with what I wanted to do with Android, so I think it would be a good start point to base my project on.

But I'm having problems getting it to work right from the beginning. I downloaded camera.zip, put into my Eclipse project folder and tried to run it. First of all I got a problem because the android.jar folder was configured in another path (probably for a Unix system). After fixing that, I get the following errors:

"the method setCallback(Preview) is undefined for the type SurfaceHolder" (file CameraPreview.java, line 136).

"the return type is incompatible with SurfaceHolder.Callback.surfaceCreated(SurfaceHolder)" (file CameraPreview.java, line 164).

About the 1st error, as Eclipse gives me the option to change the method to "addCallback", I supposed the method just could had changed its name in a newer version of the API or whatsoever; I am using last version of the API and maybe this tutorial could have been done using an older version.

For the 2nd one, I have no clue. I simply tried changing the return type to "void" to try to run it... and then, after I try to run the project from the "Run" dialog, I get a "Project is not an Android Project. Aborting!" error in Eclipse.

I would be very happy if someone could enlight me with some help to get this running...

Thanks a lot!

Hi Pere (are you from Catalonia?;)), you should use CameraPreview of APIDemo, start the emulator and then click over ApiDemo and go to "graphic", and you'll find CameraPReview. I think it's still there.
I still work under m3rc22 cause of my Project.

So you have not to download cameraPreview.zip from this post.

Bye
Adios
Adeu
bavarol
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Tutorials