Need suggestion to build Indoor Navigation based ap

Tutorials with advanced 'difficulty' and more Lines of Code.

Need suggestion to build Indoor Navigation based ap

Postby StillALearner » Mon May 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi,
I've been learning to develop android application for sometime now. And am looking for some suggestion / code sample to create an Indoor navigation based app something like wat i found in http://www.pointinside.com !
could someoone let me know how feasible it is to create such an app ?
StillALearner
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby DMacATTACK » Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Cool Idea,

Technically, ANYTHING is possible, but after browsing through the site, it is not clear how it will work. It appears to be a 3rd party partnership in order to make it possible.

The name "Indoor Navigation" is somewhat misleading, its not navigation as we're used to with respect to GPS.
GPS doesn't work well if at all indoors, therefore not feasible. It just seems like a mall directory on the phone linking to the stores' websites and products, which would be a partnership with the mall itself as well as the stores.

Dan
DMacATTACK
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby StillALearner » Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 am

Thanks Dan,
"Indoor Navigation" is an idea poped up when i was going thru' LAYAR / Wikitude apps, Am not sure if there (LAYAR / WIKI..) API supports this kindof extensions.But as you said GPS doesn't come into picture when it is indoor, so am still ideating other possibilities.. Something like triangulation with WI-FI access point by which we can pin-point the location of device and 'Navigate' accordingly.. And when it comes to partnership or mall directory, as a starting point i guess i can mock it :)
StillALearner
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby DMacATTACK » Wed May 05, 2010 2:58 am

StillALearner wrote:ideating other possibilities.. Something like triangulation with WI-FI access point by which we can pin-point the location of device and 'Navigate' accordingly.. And when it comes to partnership or mall directory, as a starting point i guess i can mock it :)

Good idea once again, but Wifi cannot be used in that manner. Wifi can find the signal strength, but it does not know the distance based on the strength, because Wifi Signals can bounce. This is why GPS works, because there really isnt bouncing going straight up. Sorry 'bout your luck.

Dan
DMacATTACK
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Advanced Tutorials