Disabling the Home key

Tutorials with advanced 'difficulty' and more Lines of Code.

Disabling the Home key

Postby AndroidTech » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 am

Hi All,

I want to disable the Home key when my application launch.
How can i get the control of Home key?
When we press Home key application doesnt get the Key press event.
Even i set my application as Home Application it always shows ActivityResolver drop down to select the application to launch.
How can i directly provide my application as default activity to Activity Resolver ?
AndroidTech
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Disabling the Home key

Postby bnorthrup » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 pm

From all the research into the topic that I have done the best answer that I have found is that you cannot override or disable the Home key. I believe it was 1.1 (if I remember correctly...) that Google disabled the ability to modify Home key functionality from anything but the default behavior as a means to "preserve user experience" they said.

Not sure if that is 100% accurate or if it is exactly what you were asking... sorry if it wasn't helpful!
bnorthrup
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Disabling the Home key

Postby Schermvlieger » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 am

You can write a HOME application and fill up the application history stack with activities (from your own application) that do not do anything. Check out Annabel The Sheep and Toddler Lock on the market for examples how to do this. I developed Annabel The Sheep, and based the technique on Toddler Lock. I am not sure if I am doing everything identically to TL though ...
Schermvlieger
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to Advanced Tutorials