About calling feature in android

Tutorials with advanced 'difficulty' and more Lines of Code.

About calling feature in android

Postby saru » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 am

Look i need to develop a dialer software(in android-OS) where i need
to catch different calling features.So far i get notices of incoming
call, outgoing call and different call state.

But what is needed :
* my application can receive the call(Accept button in my application)
*my application can reject the call(Cancel button in my application)

before posting here probably i searched every where in web but
failed.Please if u people out there have any idea how could i
implement accept and reject button(to receive call or cancel call) in my application please let me
know.
saru
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MichaelEGR » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 am

Just a quick reply so that you get at least one. I don't know the specifics of the Android phone API, but since it's a core feature to Android devices it's quite likely you are locked out / unable to do certain things like accept or reject calls from your own app. It's considered a core service/feature that can't be tampered with despite your likely good intentions. You'd have to create your own OS/device build and modify the block of these features at a lower level which of course is not going to help you in the Android app space.

My experience with something similar is the ability to trap the END_CALL key which was possible pre 1.5, but post 1.5 this key event is no longer sent through the normal key event API.

This may also explain why you are having a hard time finding any info on this since it's not officially supported. Again I'm guessing off the top of my head that what you want to accomplish is not exposed at the app API level.

Good luck...
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby saru » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 am

MichaelEGR wrote:Just a quick reply so that you get at least one. I don't know the specifics of the Android phone API, but since it's a core feature to Android devices it's quite likely you are locked out / unable to do certain things like accept or reject calls from your own app. It's considered a core service/feature that can't be tampered with despite your likely good intentions. You'd have to create your own OS/device build and modify the block of these features at a lower level which of course is not going to help you in the Android app space.

My experience with something similar is the ability to trap the END_CALL key which was possible pre 1.5, but post 1.5 this key event is no longer sent through the normal key event API.

This may also explain why you are having a hard time finding any info on this since it's not officially supported. Again I'm guessing off the top of my head that what you want to accomplish is not exposed at the app API level.

Good luck...

Look i heard same thing from very beginning.But see people already developed dialer application for android.Do tell me how they developed dialer application in android.Please try to explain it in details.
saru
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MichaelEGR » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:20 am

Yeah... I'm not the Android dialer/phone call guy nor have looked at any supposed dialer apps as you mention there are others apparently on the market that do what you want to accomplish. If so keep pluggin away and it might not hurt sending the question to those app authors and see if you get a response. Graphics questions.. Those questions I can answer. I just wanted to throw out that what you are trying to do may likely be blocked/prohibited. Would you like a rogue app/service on your phone that secretly rejects all calls? Not saying that is what you are attempting to create, but for that reason it's a likely candidate for a feature that is not exposed at the app API level.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby saru » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 am

MichaelEGR wrote:Yeah... I'm not the Android dialer/phone call guy nor have looked at any supposed dialer apps as you mention there are others apparently on the market that do what you want to accomplish. If so keep pluggin away and it might not hurt sending the question to those app authors and see if you get a response. Graphics questions.. Those questions I can answer. I just wanted to throw out that what you are trying to do may likely be blocked/prohibited. Would you like a rogue app/service on your phone that secretly rejects all calls? Not saying that is what you are attempting to create, but for that reason it's a likely candidate for a feature that is not exposed at the app API level.

thanks for your reply
saru
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Advanced Tutorials